Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
Acting and writing as if your "opinion" as in "racial opinion" is more important or relevant to the situation is so disrespectful that it's illegal in the USA. We are all equal here folks, and thankfully we all have a say in important matters.

dakine, this subject, combined with others here on PW, has brought out the worst in some, and the best in others. Papa always said, in everyone there is a little bit of good, and a little bit of bad. This TMT discussion evolved into a pile of "meadow muffins" (cow manure), although the subject is very important to all of Hawai'i. I say to you, EO. I stay trying to be "ha'aha'a", and it's freaking difficult.

Just to add to the conversation from a cultural aspect, I share with you all this story: (FWIW)

A young Hawaiian man and his friend were coming home over Saddle Road after going fishing a couple nights ago. Spotted a lady walking on the side of the road with a "light" in her hand (not a flashlight), wearing a muumuu, at 2:00AM. They stopped and offered her a ride. She was going to Mauna Kea, she told them (in English). They dropped her off at Puu Huluhulu. As they drove off, he looked in the rear view mirror and she was gone. He wrote, "She's back!".

People are leaving comments asking him if he is joking, and he stated something very clear: "Neva happen! I don't play around with this kine stuff! I neva sleep good because cannot believe what happened. Whateva, you guys, no believe. I KNOW."

Now, as a Hawaiian, this TMT subject (to bring it back to topic), has apparently brought Tutu Pele to Mauna A Wakea, to visit Poliahu. Will Tutu Pele support TMT, or not, is the question.

[Smile] (Going to hold my tongue, and go make ho'okupu to take to Halemaumau.)

JMO.
taking a break is good. I apparently didn't take a long enough one, too

I hope you'll stick around ophikao, and if you do take breaks from Punaweb, that those pauses are brief. Many of us appreciate your viewpoint, you can be sure of that. It's a big world, and fortunately there are many kinds of people living here. We all have different backgrounds, even neighbors who grow up living right next door to each other.

I grew up in a fairly homogeneous small town, but when I visited friends and neighbors, there were always things I noticed that were quite different from the way my family did things. Even back then I think I tended to ask questions (probably too many questions) rather than simply reject those differences out of hand.

Hawaii is not so much different than that. I always find your comments informative and insightful, and I continue to look forward to what you say.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Obake Files: Ghostly Encounters in Supernatural Hawaii
by Glen Grant"

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1177258.Obake_Files

here is a source for more fun stories to stimulate yourself and others with heebie jeebie chicken skin. i can imagine a good source of group entertainment to help pass the time in the evenings at a place like a dark mountain top.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

taking a break is good. I apparently didn't take a long enough one, too

I hope you'll stick around ophikao, and if you do take breaks from Punaweb, that those pauses are brief. Many of us appreciate your viewpoint, you can be sure of that. It's a big world, and fortunately there are many kinds of people living here. We all have different backgrounds, even neighbors who grow up living right next door to each other.

I grew up in a fairly homogeneous small town, but when I visited friends and neighbors, there were always things I noticed that were quite different from the way my family did things. Even back then I think I tended to ask questions (probably too many questions) rather than simply reject those differences out of hand.

Hawaii is not so much different than that. I always find your comments informative and insightful, and I continue to look forward to what you say.

Mahalo, HOTPE, plenty. I enjoy your posts too, both informative and entertaining. Difficult to maintain balance at times, but I believe it exists. Aloha to you.

If anyone is interested, I'm watching the OHA Special Board Meeting about TMT: LIVE on OIWI- Professor Chang was just up, and is always worth a good listen (or read).

http://oiwi.tv/Live/

(OR)

http://www.oha.org/

JMO.

ETA: Comma in wrong place because I'm watching OHA meeting. Can't chew gum and walk no more! Getting old! Added OHA's LIVE link, Oiwi going out sometimes. Ugh!
ummm Hawaiians were never slaves as far as I know so no need to try to connect the two. boy howdy is a phrase expressing incredulation and is devoid of any of the racial nastiness you mentioned.

if you cant see dakines inability to build bridges and create concensus than you must support his divisive language of howlie go home.

if pele is so sacred why dont you try to takeover the national park?! because the feds would taze you while the local cops treat you with kid gloves. you pick your battles i guess...
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

ummm Hawaiians were never slaves as far as I know so no need to try to connect the two. boy howdy is a phrase expressing incredulation and is devoid of any of the racial nastiness you mentioned.

if you cant see dakines inability to build bridges and create concensus than you must support his divisive language of howlie go home.

if pele is so sacred why dont you try to takeover the national park?! because the feds would taze you while the local cops treat you with kid gloves. you pick your battles i guess...

Example (re: term "boy") used in the vernacular; as an analogy, KJ.

As to your statement about the "national park", Pele created it. It is hers already.

Oh, and it's spelled "haole", with or without okina.

JMO.
“boy howdy” is akin to geez louise or aww shucks or suffering sucatash! you brought up race first. you are the racist in this convo.
Well that didn't take long did it ? So disrespectful.

Joe, why are you here ?
joe doesnt like being wrongfully accused.