Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Walkouts
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

"What about b) Deaths attributed to school shootings since we started counting (some 200 years ago), do not even total 500?"

Apologies, I hardly ever post in threads about guns, but I find the comment above very disturbing. It reminds me of those that won't vaccinate their kids. Collateral damage is just fine because an irrational belief supersedes the safety of other children.

All - just a request, but when you quote numbers or stats, please cite your sources and more, let everyone know if you are talking about a rate or total numbers otherwise it's meaningless.

With billions upon billions of people on this planet with no end in sight to the population explosion, I do not feel obligated to make changes to my personal life over such small loss of life as the roughly 500 students killed (TOTAL) in school shootings -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sc...ted_States

More people have likely been killed by RLW, though we don't study those deaths as closely but at any rate I don't remember the last school walkout for 'safer slugs'.
Thanks to the NRA we don't study gun violence at all. Seems rather closed minded doesn't it?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Every day, on average, over 300 people are shot in this country. That's about one every 5 minutes.
http://www.bradycampaign.org/key-gun-vio...statistics

But you say there are too many people anyway so that's alright then.
Such is the level of discourse with the gun worshippers.
Considering that this thread was about the school shootings, I'm confining my stats to that issue.
26 dead so far this year in school shootings and it's only March. April is National School Shooting month so get ready.
How many is too much for you?
I intended not to return to this thread because I had my say and any further discussion would be useless, but a friend sent me an e-mail saying I made a mistake in my post of March 19th. I had written, “There are more weapons per capita in Switzerland than any other western nation, and yet the Swiss have one of the lowest crime rates in the west.”

I discovered that I had not articulated well in one spot, which made the sentence inaccurate. The correct sentence is, “There are more automatic rifles per capita in Switzerland than any other western nation, and yet the Swiss have one of the lowest crime rates in the west.” “Automatic rifles” means semi-automatic that can be switched to automatic mode like the M-16 or AK-47.

The Swiss are conscripted into military service and many are issued military rifles such as the Sturmgewehr 90 that are maintained personally. These weapons are not purchased individually, but distributed in quantities that make access to such weapons by individuals the highest per capita in the West. My other point was that the Swiss are not taking those weapons from their home locks and shooting up public squares.

Here is an interesting link from 2016 about this:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-swiss...SKCN1161KT

Again, I stand by all of my statements.

quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

With billions upon billions of people on this planet with no end in sight to the population explosion, I do not feel obligated to make changes to my personal life over such small loss of life as the roughly 500 students killed (TOTAL) in school shootings
Wow.

quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Considering that this thread was about the school shootings, I'm confining my stats to that issue.
Does this mean you are not acknowledging the broader issue of gun violence throughout all demographics so that you can continue to say:

I do not feel obligated to make changes to my personal life over such small loss of life

I mean dude, what number does it have to be for you to care?
"Again, I stand by all of my statements."
Again you made a claim with no source. How about addressing some of the other nonsense you posted and which was shown to be false?
You must like it in Hawaii, not so many of "those people".
Perspective here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ca..._group.png

Let's ban cars, and heart problems, then talk about the guns.
Another person that thinks that guns don't kill anywhere near enough people. Maybe you'll think differently if it's one of yours.

Cars aren't built with the express purpose of killing people, there's the difference.