Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohia trees are dying rapidly, Why?
Where does it say they only want samples from outside the "zone found in the map"?

What zone? What map? I don't see any zone outlined on the map in the link you posted.
Current distribution of confirmed cases of #699;#333;hi#699;a wilt caused by Ceratocystis fimbriata.

Current distribution of confirmed cases of ohia wild caused by Ceratocystis fimbriata.

June 25, 2015
http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/di..._wilt.html

-------------------------------------------------
The Hawai#699;i Department of Agriculture has agreed to collect samples from landowners who suspect that their trees may have #699;#333;hi#699;a wilt on O#699;ahu, Maui, Kaua#699;i, Moloka#699;i, and Lana#699;i and transport these samples to Hawai#699;i Island for analysis. Samples may be dropped off at the Hawai#699;i Department of Agriculture (HDOA) Plant Quarantine Branch (PQB) on each island. Please see their web page for information on how to take samples and locations of offices. Landowners on Hawai#699;i Island who suspect #699;#333;hi#699;a wilt should contact Drs. Friday, Hughes, or Keith (addresses above).
---------------------------------------
Maybe your computer would not let the map come thru?

aloha

Dan D
HPP

HPP
It seems well beyond containment and quarantine but maybe dropping samples will help the scientist figure out more answers. Driving through subdivisions in lower puna it seems some areas almost every lot has a unusually large amount of dead ohias.
There was a valid question that should be addressed better. What are the best trees for homeowners to plant? What is the best compromise between being:
#1 Native versus already present
#2 Non-invasive versus fast growing
#3 Soil sustaining and nitrogen fixing?
#4 Support animals - like birds, but not pigs.

I collected a seedling from the old fire station parking lot in Pahoa from a monkey pod tree. I know it is African, however, wanted a tree that would cover a large amount of sky from a single trunk. It has grown very well in Puna Beach Palisades despite being in mostly rocky poor soil.

Note: What about this statement "He suggests that it’s even possible that Ceratocytis spores may land on plants growing near #699;#333;hi#699;a and movement of those plants may spread the disease." I think orchids are already being sprayed. Or are they?
http://mauiinvasive.org/2015/05/19/rapid-ohia-death/

Someone suggested fighting fungus with fungicide. Some plants kill fungus and apparently protect themselves. The leaves of one plant are harvested in the Philippines to make a natural fungicide. This plant is invasive and already in Hawaii. Perhaps if this plant grew under existing ohia, the leaf litter filled with fungicide would protect the ohia too.

Maybe there is a local plant that also provides these properties.

See:
http://www.stuartxchange.com/Akapulko.html
http://www.hear.org/pier/species/senna_alata.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senna_alata

The plant already in Hawaii that I would consider

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Note: Upon reading the article again. I would say the worst thing is a D9 or D10 tractor operating in a neighborhood with spores in the soil. There is no way an operator is going to clean off an entire D9 with 10% Chlorine solution before moving his tractor to the next lot where he digs into the soil and mixes contaminated soil with uncontaminated. Therefore, my strongest recommendation is that no operator can take his rig out of a contaminated area once he has contaminated it. A rig dedicated for use in contaminated areas would be necessary, or good old clearing your lot by hand may be necessary.

Come to think of it, perhaps the blame is right in Leilani and not Helco or Geothermal. All those pool table level lots with no Ohia trees exposed acres of soil.
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Another thought is something has stressed the population of kikiki huna.

Kikiki huna is an extemely small wasp. It searches for eggs from larger bugs and then lays its eggs inside. Its young hatches, feeds on the egg and then emerges as a wasp to repeat the cycle. This wasp keeps the population of beetles in check.

A healthy population of kikiki huna checks the bark beetle population. It has been shown these beetles act as a vector for the fungus.

Humans will likely not notice kikiki huna since they are so small. You will likely see the beetles.

Pesticides and tree frogs would both likely stress the kikiki huna population. Artificially introducing high numbers of
these tiny wasps has been shown to bring beetle populations back into check.

Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Update on Ohia Wilt mitagation efforts and possible quarantine:

HDOA PQ is preparing an emergency rule aimed at stopping the spread of Ceratocystis, the new deadly ohia disease responsible for Rapid Ohia Death (ROD). The proposed quarantine will prohibit the movement of ohia logs and unfinished wood (wood that has been kiln-dried and finished wood products are not included), ohia plants and seedlings, and soil from the Big Island (including any plants grown in soil). Note that there are no known treatments at this time, nor rapid testing for the fungus--HDOA is looking into compliance agreements. If methods become available, this wording will allow for permit conditions to be added quickly. Exempt will be the relatively low risk liko, flowers, and leaves. Anyone unsure of the issue or its severity, please visit Hawai'i Forestry Extension: 'Rapid ?Ohi?a Death | Ceratocystis Wilt of ?Ohi?a to learn more (easy URL is ohiawilt.org)

HDOA has been working with researchers to assess the situation and are convinced that this threat warrants this quarantine. The draft rule will be sent to the Committee on Plants and Animals (meeting on August 18, not yet posted to the calendar), and will be scheduled for BOA hearing on Aug 25. There is some talk that the BOA meeting may be on the Big Island--stay tuned for that. If approved, the emergency rule will go into effect the following day. Emergency rules are in effect for 1 year. Details will be on the official agenda, which will be posted on the State Calendar one week prior.

http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/di..._wilt.html
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by pbmaise

Kikiki huna is an extemely small wasp. It searches for eggs from larger bugs and then lays its eggs inside. Its young hatches, feeds on the egg and then emerges as a wasp to repeat the cycle. This wasp keeps the population of beetles in check.

This is downright fascinating and is a good example of the dangers of simply throwing chemicals at problems; you may inadvertently kill your allies. Thanks for posting this.
There is a quarantine in effect for Hawaii island with Young Brothers agreeing to not transport ohia and ohia products to the other islands. It seems like a quarantine of Puna will be next, although it hasn't been defined yet. Kind of doubt the practitioner that a human sacrifice was required for each ohia tree felled. The Hawaiians used it as the main posts for their hale and heiau. If they were killing a person for each log, there wouldn't be any people left.

http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/08/emergen...ihilation/
Emergency Quarantine Eyed to Save Hawaii’s Ohia Trees From Annihilation

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Came across this old article that expressed concerns about our islands Ohia forests. Not sure if our ohia trees here in Puna got hit with this fungus or a strain similar? http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/08...aline.html
In 2005, an ohia tree was found on Oahu infected with this fungus. Now 10 years later its Puna catching the bad rap of another invasive problem, also possible quarantine restrictions. The mention of possibly spraying some sort of experimental fungicide over the infected trees, probably would not be practical for Puna. It May be to late to save the Ohia in Puna!
Concern here...
Could the dying of the Ohia in Puna, have any impacts on our water purity or supply in the future?