Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
driver license - new regulations - need help
Little funny fact about the TSA and identification cards...Went to go through security screening to board a flight to Hawaii and when I got to the screener and was asked for boarding pass and ID, I handed her my ID and my TWIC card and that type of ID was unacceptable to the TSA. Now keep in mind now that this is a new card, has all the new tech built into it. The microchip inside this card has a copy of my retina scan, fingerprints, not to mention my name and picture on front of it. In order to get one, you have to pay $130, pass an FBI background check, wait two weeks, and it's issued by the TSA, which is a division of Homeland Security! Transportation Worker Identidy Credential. I don't think the right hand knows what the left is doing with these people. Waste of time and money. Not surprised at the new license requirement though, Florida started this almost two years ago and has caused such a backlog, you have to make a scheduled appointment in advance just to get your license renewed!
Use a driver's license. Works every time for me.
Update: I am indeed required to get a name change. Especially since the Pahoa DMV directed me to change my SSA card to my birth name. They told me if my SSA card and birth certificate match I could get my DL in my maiden name. WRONG

I brought the matching docs into the DMV (my 5th time waiting in line) and then presented my old license to get the renewal. ‘Umm your documents don’t match your old DL. You will need to apply for a NEW driver’s license (take the written and driving tests.)

My HI driver's license has now expired.

Solution: I flew to CA and was able to get my 6 year old expired DL renewed just by presenting an application and taking the the written exam. It is finally legal for me to drive.

Paying almost $300, including notary fees, newspaper ads for name change notification, and other costs, I applied for a name change with the Lt. Governor’s office. The kind staff suggested I get a HI ID card when name change comes in - and then, when ready, reapply for the driver’s license.

It is bad enough that I suffer through pat downs when flying because of a metal knee. Now, even though I am a proven US citizen, I am not allowed the harmless privilege of driving in HI because of the state choosing to adopt Homeland Security guidelines. Many legal, innocent, US citizens who have lost/misplaced documents will suffer because of these Big Brother rules. Are we really any safer as nation? Or is this just another way for big gov't to take over our individual freedoms.

OK, I am now going to take a big breath and let it all go....
Thanks for allowing me get this off my chest. I do feel better.
Hint: It's not about being safer.

http://www.wedekingphotography.com
Show me your papers (German accent)
quote:
Originally posted by sittall

New regulations (required by TSA?) to obtain a drivers license are denying me a license. I tried to get my driver license renewed. I was denied. Reason? I must now show several legal documents. Many of us no longer have these documents.

My marriage certificate of 40 years ago is lost. I was married on a military base in Athens Greece. I have NO idea how to get that document. I have been divorced for 35 years. That happened in CA and I have that document but it doesn’t show my maiden/birth name. At this point I will not be allowed to drive in Hawaii because I cannot find/get a copy of my marriage certificate.

I have a valid SSA card, previous drivers license and birth certificate. But because I took my husbands name and it does not match my birth certificate, I cannot get my drivers license renewed under these NEW regulations.

I sent an email to Hawaii state reps detailing my dilemna, but no responses yet. What to do???

The law of unintended consequences. Assisting women in living a more balanced life. Seems like to the TSA we are all guilty until proven innocent while we proceede with our daily lives.

So sorry to hear this sittall. I hope the powers that be have level heads about this.

QUOTE ""This is a great reason for women to stop taking men's names when they get married! But certainly change your name back when you get divorced. Who wants to be called by their ex-husband's name anyway? Not me!""

Perhaps women with minor children would like to keep the name their children go by?

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/...ers-please

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

http://www.bytheseasoaps.etsy.com/
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
quote:
Seems like to the TSA we are all guilty until proven innocent while we proceede with our daily lives.

From Atlas Shrugged:

quote:
“Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?” said Dr. Ferris. “We want them broken. You’d better get it straight that it’s not a bunch of boy scouts you’re up against—then you’ll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We’re after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you’d better get wise to it. There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there it that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted—and you create a nation of lawbreakers—and then you cash in on guilt. Now that’s the system, Mr. Rearden, that’s the game, and once you understand it, you’ll be much easier to deal with.”

So what this new ID law really is a bias against women, who make up 90% of the group with a name change along with adopted children (but adopted children's birth certs are changed I believe which doesnt make any sense either).

hmmmmmmmmmmm.... just saying ........

Guess I had better get all my docs in order, I only have 4 years left till my DL expires..
One more thing:
If you were divorced in Califonia, but your HDL has your married name on it, and you took back your maiden name, allow more than 6 months to get paperwork if you do not have your divorce decree:

From their website:

Divorce Records: Maintained only for the years 1962 through June 1984. For these years, we are only able to provide you with a
Certificate of Record, which identifies the names of the parties, filing date, county, and case number of the divorce. Copies of the
actual divorce decree can only be obtained from the Superior Court in the county where the divorce took place. Our processing
time for divorce records can be quite lengthy and may exceed six months.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/C...vs113a.pdf
quote:
Originally posted by dwedeking

quote:
Seems like to the TSA we are all guilty until proven innocent while we proceede with our daily lives.

From Atlas Shrugged:

quote:
“Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?” said Dr. Ferris. “We want them broken. You’d better get it straight that it’s not a bunch of boy scouts you’re up against—then you’ll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We’re after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you’d better get wise to it. There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What’s there it that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted—and you create a nation of lawbreakers—and then you cash in on guilt. Now that’s the system, Mr. Rearden, that’s the game, and once you understand it, you’ll be much easier to deal with.”

Yes thanks for the clarity!

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

http://www.bytheseasoaps.etsy.com/
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA