Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice buying a car
Well, with gas approaching 5 bucks a gallon get a toyota echo or something that get's 40+MPG. Another option is to go buy something on Oahu and ship it over. Seems to me, that cars on Oahu are a lot cheaper than the big island.
I agree with DTisme,Hilo Mazda Subaru is great.My salesman was Waylon.

With the price of gas going through the roof,we traded in our 10 year old Ford Escape and got a new Mazda 3 which gets 40 plus mpg.
Thanks for the advice. It it wasn't $3,500 to ship a car from Alaska I'd take mine with me.

Leaning towards private party transactions... any advice there?

Anybody know ballpark how much to ship a car from Oahu?

Lots around Kona better than Hilo?

thanks
We have gotten a couple of decent deals in private transactions, BUT have found some very interesting things...including title & VIN not matching (one car we looked at had a stolen VIN, but the title was good....) so you really do have to be on your toes, & check out every detail...
Young Brothers rates

One Way Vehicle Rates To/From Honolulu
Small 0 - 2,500 lbs. $165 to $185
Medium 2,501 - 4,000 lbs. $202 to $226
Large 4,001 - 6,500 lbs. $292 to $326

We bought our Ford Escape from Hertz car sales on Oahu.Their used rental cars usually have the remainder of the factory warranty.In our case it was 1 year and about 10000 miles left.They took care of all the paperwork and even delivered it to Young Brothers.All we did on this end is pick it up in Hilo.

http://www.hertzcarsales.com/
I bought a newer used car from jackson volvo treated me fair car was lower than blue book value which you dont find here much. The car had a issue which they took care of when they didnt have to.I would buy a car from them again.Talk story with Sam.

jrw
jrw
Rust is relative.... unless its on the steering parts - have seen lots of very nasty looking tie rod sleeves - change them out every chance I get.....

example of sleeves

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/TieRodsSleeves/Chevy/Blazer-Full-Size/1ASFK00508/552774?utm_campaign=gb_api_nobr&utm_medium=comparisonshopping&utm_source=google_base&utm_content=SFK&gclid=CKeenozJ7q4CFckJRQodwH-NKw
If you are purchasing from a dealer, never pay more than $500.00 over Blue Book..tell them you don't want to play the back and forth game to sales manager, you want the bottom line price on the vehicle. Experienced in the business...used car's is where they make their profit, call them on their game, don't pay more than $500.00 over BB Smile
With car dealerships, if they start playing the back and forth game with the manager, you start playing the back and forth game with the door (get up and start leaving until they come around your way, or just walk out). It helps to get the 'hook' into them by saying you want to buy a car today and then ask them straight up "Do you want to sell me a car today?". If they say "yes" then trot that out just before you get up to walk - say "I thought you said you really wanted to sell me a car today" - with emphasis on today. It's a variation of one of the psychological games they will play on you. Try to get them salivating over the fact they have a sale almost done and a commission in their pocket, and pull back every time they start jacking you around. Believe me, they want to sell you a car more than you want to buy one from them since you have lots of options out there on who to buy from. Also, if that Volvo dealer is as good as a previous poster said, that's good as gold. Volvos don't get the best gas milage, but they are well put together and of course dealers have other manufacturers used cars in stock from trade ins. Whalesong is 100% correct - they will lowball the value of any car traded in to them and jack up the sales price when they turn around and sell it. Just make sure you leave them with enough margin to feed their families and everyone's happy. I always get my cars checked by a competent machanic. I used to check them out myself, but then decided that competence was a good thing.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Thanks for the help. I've never bought off a lot before, always did private party. Tried to buy off lots a few times but couldn't handle the BS.