Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you have a dog
Seems I have new neighbors who moved in a couple of days ago with a very large dog, maybe two. I can only judge their size by the sound of their bark as I haven't seen them yet. The good thing is it really is an occasional "woof" and so far so good.

A few months ago there was a couple that moved into the same place with three dogs - two were very large and young dogs, I couldn't work out the breed, and one small yapper. They let the dogs run free and they would be in my yard most days.

I have two old cats who love to hang out on the porch but they stopped doing that after the two large dogs ripped everything apart they could find there. My gardening hat, cushions on the chairs, gloves - whatever they thought was soft and edible - got munched and spat out. Fortunately the cats survived.

They didn't bark very much though, but the neighbors did. Nearly every morning I was woken up by Mr and Mrs Neanderthal shouting their dogs' names because they'd been let loose overnight and didn't know where they'd got to. I could have told them - on my porch some of the time and more often than not in my yard - but I had no bullet-proof vest nor a couple of whiskys to even think about confronting them.

The point of this post? I don't know other than there are far too many inconsiderate pet owners out there who do not respect their impact on neighbors. I wish it would change one day but suspect it won't.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Oh jeez, my complete sympathy, Tom!
That sucks so much!

The other night we suddenly heard a loud noise out on our deck, and I ran to look just as two big dogs chained together ran lickety-split off the deck knocking things over like pots as they ran. I didn't know they were out there and don't know what spooked them, nor do I know to whom they belong. Mystery. I was glad to find the cats safely out of the way.

I also have some new barking the last few months. I'm sure it's when the neighbors are gone, because the dogs start to bark and howl incessantly and it goes on for a few hours and then stops dead. The neighbors are really nice people, and I can't figure out how to mention what the dogs are doing, but it's pretty bad when it goes as late as 10-11 pm. Undecided what to do, but so far am not doing anything that would possibly cause a tiff. It seems to be happening less than it was.

I hope your new "woofs" stay occasional, and stay in their yard!

Talking to people about their dogs' annoying behavior is like telling parents their kids are acting obnoxious. It rarely results in anyone saying "oh, I'm so sorry, it won't happen again."
Irresponsible behavior of pet owners is frustrating and happens everywhere! Our dogs, even the very large ones have always been in doors with us, they are like my kids and I wouldn't chain kids up outside for a life why would I subject my animal to an imprisoned life? Even in the middle of the night in the snow, blow, cold, I have put my dogs on a leash to go out to go potty and I stay out there with them urging them to go. I do this for their protection and safety because I love and care for them, it is the responsibility I took on when I got them.
In the past we had a neighbor with a huge Rott that pooped everywhere including our front door landing! Once on a camp trip to a remote island beach, friends that met us there unloaded their large dogs from the boat along with all their gear but no dog food! When I asked about dog food I was told they are dogs and could fend for themselves!!! Say What!!!??? Arrrgggg people!!! I don't try to "fix" the ignoramous behaviors of people and treatment of their pets, I adjust my behavior to keep my own animals safe and give me peace of mind. When my poodle persisted in barking at the backyard bushes when I took her potty in the dark, me being certain there was a bear lurking waiting to pounce us. I finally had enough of being on edge and trying to keep her on the track of doing her "duty" broke down while my husband was gone just days before his birthday and bought him a shiny brush chipper and then cut down all the brush that a bear could hide behind and had it waiting in a nice pile beside the new chipper for him when he got home. Needless to say, he was not real impressed with that present ;D but it seemed to solve the barking at the wind problem. hehe
islandgirl
I'm going to risk taking this thread where it hasn't touched yet. My pardon if this offends. Let's be fair to the broader pet community.

Cat owners are also guilty of letting their pets stray. We've had two large cats show up in recent months. They use the floor of our ag storage building as their cat box, along with the driveway and some areas under the growing benches. Cat hair adhered to the hood of the truck. Cat paws on the windshield. Cat paws on the roof!!! of the greenhouse. Yowling under the bedroom window at night. We've had a cat-mongoose fight on our front lanai in the middle of the night that broke plants and pots.

I don't care what your pet is as long as its legal (no invasives, please). However, you do have a duty to keep them in your own yard and not let them roam. I know ya'll love your pets, and that's cool. Just don't impose them on your neighbors unwillingly. In the cat's defense, I've never felt threatened by a stray cat, and have done so by roaming angry dogs. I've never been treated to hours of upset and incessant meowing that can be heard for a mile, either. But that doesn't make it OK to let them roam.

Don't shoot me over this one -- I'm not anti-pet, and have been a pet owner in the distant past.

Jane
agreed - I leave my windows down a bit to let air in the car when parked in the carport - one morning I found cat claw punctures in the seat backs and head rests thanks guys.....

agree janeadams! Although cats can also help keep the mouse/rat populations in control. Somehow though cat owners feel it is ok to let the cats run. Probably because they are quiet and slip around the owners may feel they are less invasive than a barking large dog, and they pose less threat. Although those who have posted have shown how cats can also be a problem if let to run free! Here in Alaska we have to worry about black bears. What a pain they can be! A gal I know had purchased apples and snacks for a health fair the following day. She left the items in her car overnight with all windows rolled up. A black bear tore the car door open, trashed the inside of the vehicle ripping seats and headliner up along with eating the snacks!
islandgirl
Good to see the law is actually being enforced, at least a little; I have to admit, I had my usual cynical expectations. Especially since dog barking in my neighborhood hasn't changed much. Maybe it's time to make some phone calls.

This quote was particularly interesting, as it's identical to what my neighbor said: "It's nuts, man. To me, barking is good because it notifies you somebody's around who shouldn't be around." Uh, no. If a dog is barking when someone is poking around, it's useful. If it's barking nonstop for three hours every night, it's not a very good watchdog.
So....at the risk of taking this thread on another tangent, I think the law is flawed.

For background for those that may not know me, we live on 21 acres amidst other 20 acre parcels, not exactly crowded suburbia.
All my immediate neighbors except one have dogs, multiple dogs actually. I'd say for the most part they are all well cared for, none chained or abused. Oh and they ALL bark. I can guaranty that those howling in the middle of the night or baying at wild pigs are not mine, because mine are usually asleep on the bed. But anyway, the one neighbor without dogs is also my closest, maybe 500 ft. He has also apparently refined his dog identification skills to the point that the only barking dogs are mine. A couple years ago, about 5 minutes after leaving the house, he called complaining how my dogs had been barking the past half hour, when I told him I had been home until just 5 minutes before he hung up. Shortly thereafter, I installed 2 video cameras aimed where the dogs would be. Naturally, I get the call about my dogs and while he's complaining I pull up the live cams on my iPhone and ask which dog is barking, not that the answer mattered as each dog was clearing visible and behaving. He seemed to get irritated when I mentioned that I was watching them on live video and the one he named was actually lying down and I had never witnessed a dog lying down and barking the same time. He hung up. Our dogs had actually been to his house while in my truck a number of times, so he did know them individually.
So the county passes this new law, with the relaxed standard to involve the police. I guess he must have thought it was Christmas.
So, this past July, we have a houseful of guests and one Saturday morning my wife and all except me take off for Hilo farmers market. I later found out that wife waved as they passed his property. About 45 minutes later I see a police cruiser turn up my drive as I'm mowing down near my lower boundary, the dogs loose within our fenced yard, about 5-6 acres. Imagine my surprise when I see the cruiser turn into my gate. Now imagine, those of you who know my wife, my thoughts as I see this cop car and am overwhelmed with the thoughts of, " they must have been in some really bad accident if the cops are coming and they couldn't call on a cell" it seemed an eternity driving the tractor that several hundred feet. So while I was indeed relieved to be told they were there on a barking dog complaint, it still took a long time for my heart to settle anywhere near normal. Well, the last call I had was months before, even before the new law, so if that part is a requirements, guess a lie works too. Interesting in that all my dogs were there at the gate and although excited at the strangers, the officers noted their non barking behavior.
So, being a responsible owner, or at least attempting, all my dogs now wear electronic bark collars. Kinda pain to keep them charged and put them on and off every day, but effective.
I also took the time and effort to send a carefully worded letter to my other dog owning neighbors as to what transpired and my corrective actions.
Of course, I couldn't name the responsible neighbor, but I guess it's available to the right people as apparently my letter got wider circulation than I intended and several locals (not neighbors) have made reference to it while offering what might to called supporting words.
So while this may be a solution in town or close subdivision, it is inappropriate in a rural, ag setting.
Do I wake up, maybe even annoyed because a couple of dogs are yapping at 3AM, likely due to a pig? Yep, but I'm not about to call the cops. Oh but I will, and have called when I hear a gunshot close to my boundary. I'd love to be able to call someone about the coquis, the pigs do get loud at times, and the raucous bellowing from all the cattle, geez even middle of the night!!!!
End of rant.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
@KathyH - You need to tell your new neighbors about this behavior. If the dogs only bark incessantly when the owners leave, then the owners do not know it is happening. How can they fix a problem they don't know about? Don't complain to them, just make them aware that when they leave the dogs bark incessantly. Bark collars work great!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
In the cities - pet dogs are usually kept in the house or as pets, barking not an issue - if not the humane society has published guidelines

In rural areas - where many of us moved by choice, dogs are usually kept for protection and hunting.

House dogs and working dogs very different animals and temperaments.

Sublimation of the alert behavior of a line bred pig dog may very difficult if not cruel.

Training couch dog fido to locate a pig and alert the rest of the pack, may be just as problematical .... if not outright dangerous to the dog. Nature and nurture shaping the behavior and drives of the animal.

Barking, roosters and other noise par for the course in rural ag zoned lots - this is what ag zoning is all about.

It may be a good thing to keep this in mind before choosing a place to live...., I'll take the hunting dogs over imposed mainland values, posers and congestion any day....

Please keep it rural, unless we live within city limits & R1 zoning, we really dont have a leg to stand on (roosters & barking dogs) - imho

edited for syntax