Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
80% Geo-thermal will go to Oahu via u/w cables!
You know who is one of our reps who is really into alternative energy sources of all kinds is Mark Nakashima. He represents my area, and is really good about meeting with his constituency. We had a four person meeting last month in which we talked energy at length. (Note: it was a public meeting for legislative update to the community, that for whatever reason had a low turnout, and he very kindly gave us his time anyway.)

He says it will be about ten years before we see HELCO bill reductions on this island due to the way past contracts were structured.

He's SUPER excited about the hydrogen fuel conversion for alternatives to gasoline powered cars. He has seen the prototype that can convert any source of water into fuel. Unfortunately the cost still prices out to a bit more than the cost of gas.

You could probably get some materials from his office. He's really very nice and wants the island to be energy-sufficient. He feels that we will all benefit from putting our monthly energy bill money into sources on this island, so that the money goes into our economy.

We told him, we still want OUR bills to go down. He said of course, but it will take time.

ed. to say glad it was useful to punaticbychoice. [Smile]
Here's what the State Integrity Report PUC is a one man show. http://www.stateintegrity.org/hawaii then read the facts Hawaii consumers are dealing with composed in the petition below.

Here's the Facts on HELCO 100 year Monopoly!
http://www.change.org/petitions/revoke-h...-easements

So to answer your ?, if they did, why are we paying 440 kwh vs 110 kwh mainland cost..HELCO CEO makes a MILLION $ salary a year..
\
Aloha..now you know, they don't care about the people, if they did their integrity report would show it.

quote:
Originally posted by gramps

Does the Public Utility Commission have the best interest of citizens at heart?

First, give the geothermal to an American company and kick the Israeli company to the curb; Second, do whatever it takes to ensure that geothermal REDUCES the Helco rate commensurate with its contribution. Third, establish it for the Big Island first. And, Fourth, consider exporting it.
quote:
Originally posted by gramps

Does the Public Utility Commission have the best interest of citizens at heart?

At first I thought you were joking, but maybe you're not. It sure doesn't feel like they're looking out for us citizens from where I'm sitting.
How about (in addition to low energy rates) everyone in Hawaii County gets an annual stipend on par with what our friends in Alaska get? (What is it per resident, $1,800?) One can only dream! Smile And who's gonna pay for all this?

I have the perfect solution: we make Oahu pay a "Hawaii County energy consumption tax." Yes they've got the business. But we've got the energy. They kind of need us now. <<evil grin>>

Goes without saying, folks most negatively affected by geothermal (for example, those living in the immediate vicinity of the plant) should be compensated for their trouble/sacrifice. How to ensure safe operation? Best idea I've heard is the geothermal company demonstrates their commitment to safety by purchasing the land around the plant and housing their employees there.

---Ha ha ha, like any of this is gonna happen---

If TPTB are hellbent on doing geothermal, would sure hope it's done the right way.

What IS the right way? And what are the chances of it being done "the right way"? Thoughts?
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Actually the "mineral" and allied energy rights reside with the state.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

The distance to Oahu is about 350 miles ...

Ted, not sure what map you're using, but the distance from Kawaihae (the logical place for a cable terminus; already used for telecommunications cables) to Oahu, as the shearwater flies, is less than 150 miles. Admittedly a cable would have to take a somewhat circuitous route.

It's another 70 miles or so from Kawaihae to lower Puna.

Even if the cost is low, I have been told repeatedly that that agreement to tie alternative energy rates to the cost of petroleum derived energy is still in effect, and will be for some time still. (per Mark Nakashima, I forget the number of years he cited before that expires.)

Mark said that at the time that agreement was made, people didn't envision gas and oil prices soaring, and it was an encouragement for geothermal to invest, knowing it would get at least that rate as a return.

As I understand it, HELCO cannot pass the savings from geothermal on to the public at this time, but please correct me if I misunderstand this, or the Ormat deal is not bound by that pricing structure.
As geothermal is again in the forefront of discussion, this site may provide some factual information on the various issues and concerns (thousands of documents available; snipped - more at link):

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/6/prweb9607264.htm

June 19, 2012

The Geothermal Resources Council (GRC) is is pleased to announce that the new and improved GRC Geothermal Library is fully operational, with a streamlined interface making geothermal research easier. Features include basic and advanced searches, sorting options, the ability to produce customized lists of citations and PDF downloads.
The GRC Geothermal Library contains approximately 35,000 records on all aspects of geothermal energy, including exploration, reservoir engineering, power plant design and operation, direct use, geothermal heat pumps, regulatory issues, energy policy, energy markets, news briefs, and more.

Geothermal library link: https://www.geothermal-library.org/

quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

For the Big Island, HELCO recently increased their contract with Ormat geothermal to 38MW, from 30MW. Adding the Pepeekeo biofuel plant which will provide 22MW.

Anyone know the latest about the Pepeekeo plant?
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".