Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danger on Government Beach Road (HWY 137)
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will), but isn't the County also including all the substandard subdivision roads (read: roads maintained/not maintained by the homeowners) in their road count to the Federal Gov't?
Probably, more roads you have (on the books) the better you look for getting tax and other funding for more projects. It's a win win for them.
They have worked on it significantly with leveling and new gravel in the past year. Besides a few larger pot holes lately, it runs as smooth as it ever has. Is it somehow the county or federal governments fault that somebody can't walk down a gravel road? Wheres the beef? The waa waa is fine.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
Here is where the Hawaii part comes in. Hiway 137 is only one name for it and is actually in limbo. That stretch is also called in local slang Waa Waa, although there is an actual Waa Waa road -- up the road. It is also on some maps as Beach Road, others Old Government Road. Even if it says Old Government Road (that is referring to the ancient Hawaiian chiefs using that path for runners between the villages that dotted all along the east coast side) is continuous, it isn't and actually comprised of road segments that the county uses. The road is actually Kapoho-Kalapana Road.

"There is a gap of almost 20 miles between this western segment of route 137, and the eastern segment in the next listing. There are no firm plans to connect them with an auto road; indeed, the narrow Old Puna Road Trail that occupies much of the gap between the two segments may be improved, but restricted to non-motor-vehicle use.

A 1973 state highway map, and before then a 1961 Hawaii DOT planning document, indicates that there had been plans to construct a new road (which was to be part of at first state and then county route 137) to fill the gap, which may explain why the disconnected segments carry the same route number. In addition, a sign at JN , and mileposting of the eastern segment that places that junction at about mile 7.7 of route 137, suggests that there had been later plans to fill at least part of the gap, by improving a mostly rough, narrow, and unpaved road (4x4 recommended) from the Hawaiian Beaches Estates subdivision southeast to JN . (This road is neither signed nor milemarked, and is not currently county-maintained.)

A 2005 draft Hawaii County planning document, however, rejects a similar coastal route as an alternate route between Hilo and the Puna district, in part because its vulnerability to tsunamis and (at its eastern end) lava flows would make it a poor emergency evacuation route. Other inland routings, which would not connect the existing segments, remain under consideration."
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
the people that crow that they dont want a road improved so it keeps the riffraff out. should know that THEY are the ones to Blame when the an ambulance cant get there in time
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

They have worked on it significantly with leveling and new gravel in the past year. Besides a few larger pot holes lately, it runs as smooth as it ever has. Is it somehow the county or federal governments fault that somebody can't walk down a gravel road? Wheres the beef? The waa waa is fine.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul

When you are walking on a county maintained road, and there is a hidden very deep hole in the cement section and you step into said hole because you can not see it, and you have to go to the emergency room to have gravel dug out of your face, stiches, and a x-ray of head chest and hands, there is plenty of beef. Wa'a wa'a is not fine for those of us that live on and use the road.
As pointed out before, the road looks like one road but is actually in segments, labeled as Hiway 137 but never made into a highway. I am pretty sure the section you are referring to is called Papio Street and half that length is privately owned (state easement through the property) and half state land before the residential lots start up again. That section is not a county road and nobody maintains it officially. It was being graveled and graded by the geothermal funds but the imminent passing of Bill 256 cut that off. I think some of the residents pay out of their pocket for improved grading in sections. You have to pay very close attention to the local politics with consideration for the geographic layout obstacles. That is why I keep telling people to not bring mainland expectations to the islands. Adapt, learn and prosper.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by cwaters

quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

-Ron Paul

When you are walking on a county maintained road, and there is a hidden very deep hole in the cement section and you step into said hole because you can not see it, and you have to go to the emergency room to have gravel dug out of your face, stiches, and a x-ray of head chest and hands, there is plenty of beef. Wa'a wa'a is not fine for those of us that live on and use the road.

Sorry that you fell. Maybe you could do us all a favor and fill it in yourself? The government is us, please don't sue me. Always a good idea to watch your footing when walking down these old hawaiian trails, I have done something similar but I don't have insurance so I just sucked it up and was a little embarrassed. Walk it off.

-Ron Paul
I do not need to fill it in myself, when I called the county on the way to it was the hospital, they admitted they had liability. They were out the the day befor 7/4 and filled it in. I do not sue people, and I have lived and worked in and for the community for over 20 years, so do not tell me that I bring mainland expectations, I bring common sense. I was warning of danger, which I feel is a compassionate response to the problem.Perhaps ypu could use a bit more compassion.
cwaters, didn't you know? Punaweb is a compassion-free zone Wink

Hope you weren't hurt too seriously. Thanks for posting this.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius