Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittbulls - It finally happened to me
What a traumatic experience, I am so sorry you had to go through this. Dogs are so powerful when they are in that attack mode, Now there is always that possibility they will come back.

Iquade, comments are accurate, that is how most dogs attacks are handled on this Island.

My vet's advice after my dog was attacked he was SERIOUS. When he goes walking he carries a heavy stick with nails hammered in randomly, sticking out about 1/4" If an aggressive dog attacks, he hits them with the stick, said the pain stops them in their tracks. Also said you cannot hesitate, you have to take control of the situation! My reaction that is cruel, but after reading what you just went through I am going to rethink that decision.

There is helpful information in Wayne's blog about the dog problem.
https://waynejoseph.wordpress.com/tag/ha...e-society/

Call Donna Whitaker in Kona and register a complaint.
http://www.hawaii247.com/2009/01/29/whit...e-society/
Also keep a camera handy, if you see the dogs in your yard take photo's.
Hope this helps

Should you consider a civil case, here is one of the applicable Hawaii state statutes:

§142-74 Liability of dog owner; penalty. (a) If any dog, while on private property without the consent of the owner of that property, injures or destroys any sheep, cattle, goat, hog, fowl, or other property belonging to any person other than the owner of the dog, the owner of the dog shall be liable in damages to the person injured for the value of the property so injured or destroyed. The owner of the dog shall confine or destroy the dog, and if the owner of the dog neglects or refuses to do so, the owner of the dog, in the event of any further damage being done to the person or property of any person by the dog, in addition to paying the person injured for the damage, shall pay the costs of the trial together with the penalty imposed under section 142-12, and it shall be lawful for any other person to destroy the dog.

(b) Each county may enact and enforce ordinances regulating persons who own, harbor, or keep any dog that has injured, maimed, or destroyed an animal belonging to another person. No ordinance enacted under this subsection shall be held invalid on the ground that it covers any subject or matter embraced within any statute or rule of the State; provided that the ordinance shall not affect the civil liability of a person owning, harboring, or keeping the dog. Upon enactment of an ordinance, whether enacted on, before, or after June 30, 2001, the ordinance shall have full force and effect; provided that the ordinance is consistent with this section. [PC 1869, c 23, §9; RL 1925, §667; RL 1935, §252; RL 1945, §1094; RL 1955, §20-73; HRS §142-74; gen ch 1985; am L 1986, c 64, §1; am L 2001, c 222, §1]

This is a terrible thing to have to go through. About a month ago my 30 year old daughter was riding my bicycle on 23rd in HPP and was attacked and bitten by a dog that ran out of a fenced yard. This same dog had chased both her and I many times in the past. My bdaughter called the police and two officers came over. They took pictures of the bite wound on her ankle and paid the dog owners a litlle vist and showed them the photo. The owners, for about the next month, kept the dog in their yard. I've noticed recently that the dog is sometimes out of the yard again.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
"The humane society said when he got there (hours later) the dog was tied up (sure, the guy got home and tied them up) so, since he didn't see it, there was nothing he could do. He didn't even stop at my house. I called them back, he said he'd go issue them a $25 ticket, "if I really wanted him to"

The issue doesnt seem to be about the law, or whether the pits are a threat. Its about proof in my read - photos of the offenders in action and documentation from your vet and dr. seem to be required in dealing with enforcement agencies as well as the courts.

It is difficult to set one's ethics aside, but in this case, I would seriously consider it. Can' be more specific.

Are you referring to the owner, or the dogs?
quote:
Originally posted by mailes

The police never came. I called and she said an officer would call me. I can't describe the aloofness; and they seemed genuinely irritated. I think they go through this all the time; where us citizens are like little children who don't know the law or something. He said it's up to the humane society; that there was no intent on the neighbor's part. He said "anywhooo", "you have every right to protect yourself, know what I mean". The Humane Society is a non-profit, volunteer group. They're aren't a government agency. I have the right to have police protection.

I'm pretty sure I come off to my family, friends and online buddys as "boy, if I were in that situation....I would..."

I can tell you what really happens now. The whole event must have taken place in a couple of minutes. I wasn't able to think. I remember not being able to find the door. If I stand in the middle of the room, there's two doors 13 feet away and I couldn't find the door.

I learned this from my Brother who works for the FD. He said when you call 911, tell them you need an ambulance that you are injured from wild dogs that entered your house and maybe still on the property, and you are bleeding profusely... . They will send a PD with the ambulance automatically. The system takes over better from there.
Enforcement should not be passed off to a contractor. they are not accountable,among other problems.There should be county animal control officers. budgets are tight so you would have make a good pitch to the council.
someone should collect all the info available on attacks. pictures of bites, 911 calls, concrete stuff not talk story.
and it would be good to at least bring up the issue before elections
Hello, sorry to hear this happened to you.

Where I was raised if a dog even so much as bit a human there would be no questions asked by anyone and no hesitation, the dog would be drowned/killed.There is absolutely no disregarding your safety in this matter - especially if you were to have children about. Not to be cold hearted I love dogs myself and can't think of ever living without one but there is certainly no shortage of dogs on this island, or elsewhere...

Cheers

rainyjim
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

Are you referring to the owner, or the dogs?

The victim