Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kapoho Wai Opea tide pools Champagne pond sewage
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

The area that exceeded the limit was Champagne pond not the Waiopae tidepools.

That is not what the article says. Maybe a correction should be run if that is the case, since the entire article is headed Kapoho and they are referring to the Wai Opea tide pools as well as Champagne Pond.
hawaiideborah
"Dora Beck, county Environmental Management acting director, said the proposed solutions — which included centralized treatment facilities ranging from $2.85 million to nearly $8 million — were rejected by residents for being too expensive."

The low end of this was for a system that would only be hooked up to the houses adjacent to the ocean !!

The high end would include all of the homes.

Neither included the cost of the property to build a sewage plant.

What do you think our chances would be of building a sewage plant in Kapoho?
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

The requirement is not county, but the private water service & is not a requirement to transfer title, only to receive water from that water service provider if a "new homeowner". If you do not want to receive water from them (either catchment or private water sourcing) you do not need to convert. I am sure that some - many may opt out of the water service rather than upgrade their sanitary system...so that option is not an "idiot proof" way to upgrade the sanitary system of an area...

Carey - Although this article lumped the two subdivisions together, it would be similar to lumping HPP and Orchidland together. The sensibilities are different between the two.

In Kapoho Vacationland so far, no one has opted out of making the upgrade to the waste water system when the transfer of title was made since the change was made to the KKWA bylaws in 2010. The house my mother purchased this year was just switched over to correct system in Sept, and although we were told we could fight it, why do it? But that change is "only" $6000.

When building permits are pulled, it will in fact be a requirement to upgrade. So it is not just the KKWA doing the policing. Although one person who is very near the ocean and has a pond pulled a plumbing permit. Plumbing and electrical only do not go through health so they did not have to upgrade to Aerobic from septic because they did not go through the "trigger" point. (What is really funny is this person is a strong voice for the "upgrade" yet doesnt do it themselves!!!)

We did in fact talk with the SOH DOH about composting toilets which are only $3000K delivered to the door and a few I talked to were all in an uproar about us going that direction. One high ranking county official said they would be pleased to see every one going to composting down here. I tried to make some headway on this and was shot down at every corner.

I am always amazed why the option of sealed vaults and pump seem so acrimonious - solves the problem -

In the end its about being responsible for ones own waste whether that be plastic bags or cesspools - why wait for mandates - its about personal responsibility - imho

high tide not being an option for the uninformed user....... or widlife
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

It amazes me that people here will protest every fringe Eco thing, then go swim in poop and not say a thing about it

LOL! It goes along with all these people that want to build unpermitted shacks and there is this whole gung-ho crowd for that, nobody asking where they are going to poop and pee. It's probably accepted all trash will be buried on the property, too.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I compost mine. I consider it less likely to pollute than a regular septic tank and leach field, and of course much less likely to pollute than an injection well (sometimes refered to as a cesspool). That being said, I intend to dig a cesspool at some time in the future.
While working at a cute house in Beach Lots, there were really hot days when I could smell sewage in the air. Ick.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
And then there are some of us who get our cuts swimming in the ponds! OOPS! [8D]
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

It amazes me that people here will protest every fringe Eco thing, then go swim in poop and not say a thing about it

LOL! It goes along with all these people that want to build unpermitted shacks and there is this whole gung-ho crowd for that, nobody asking where they are going to poop and pee. It's probably accepted all trash will be buried on the property, too.

You have a couple screws loose.

It's called composting like mark mentioned
(and way to go mark for composting - definitely the most enviro-responsible waste management)

No one is going to be burying trash in the land of rocks...especially if they are to lazy to take it into the transfer station, the amount of work it would take to bury it would be so much more!

I hope we never meet. You stink.

Cheers

rainyjim
csgray,
You make it worthwhile to read here. Thanks. Smile

Now, a true story from 2006:
We invited a Yale graduate student -- 'M' -- working at Kohala Center to have dinner with us. We'd gotten to know M through her working on resource issues on the island.
When M arrived, she was very upset. Just prior to departing Hilo for our place, she had seen another Yale student she knew and asked him what he was doing in Hilo. That young man reported that his parents had come to visit Hawaii, and they had swam at Kapoho. His mother was dead within 48 hours from a flesh eating something that got into a small wound on her leg.
The dinner went as well as could be expected.
The next morning I called the Dept of Health office in Hilo.
I told the receptionist who answered the phone that I wanted to get information about the woman who had died after swimming in Kapoho, to which she blurted, "How did you find out about that?" I asked to speak to her supervisor. After a long pause, a man came on the phone and I asked if the public had been made aware of the bacteria in the water, to which he responded, "There is bacteria in all water."
Case closed.