Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speeders in HPP
Adapt with speed bumps.
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Lifelong, out of necessity, not for fun cyclist here Tom ... Do I really have to answer your inane question ? Shocked I even have to say it to you ... HELL YES ! one must adapt.
And how, exactly, does one "adapt" to completely insane and unpredictable driving habits? A few weeks ago I was starting to make the left turn into my driveway in Hawaiian Acres, with my blinker on, when the person behind me stomped on the gas and passed me in the lane I was already turning through. How the hell can you adapt to someone who is fully prepared to kill both you and themselves in order to get there half a second faster???
Funny how that works: pave the roads to avoid DOH fines for "dust control", and suddenly you're hosting speeders.

Cheap solution: pave sections of 750 feet max, separated by 150-foot strips of lava.
Park an unmanned police car at random locations throughout HPP, or maybe even use a couple of 'em! Could also set up a cutout "picture" of a police car in different spots too, but I think people would pick up on that pretty fast.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
On the numbered streets between the four main roads in HPP I often don't even do 25, but hold it down a bit slower due to kids. Also all the signs made by residents along these streets asking drivers to drive slowly. I get the message and I like that the Moms and Dads give me an appreciative wave and a smile for driving slowly.
I am also riding a bicycle more and more in this area. HPP is a challenge as there is few areas with a decent paved shoulder. I have a regular route that I like to take that is fairly dog free and is about 17 miles. I also ride to Pahoa and Keaau, and will do a ride to Hilo and back soon. It's a good way for a 59 year old geezer like me to stay in shape.
I only brought up this subject as a reminder for us all about speeding. I don't want anyone to get hurt or killed because someone is trying to save a few seconds doing 60 in this place.
It's also tough driving at night in HPP with no street lights and a car riding your bumper and you can't read the street numbers. By the way, thanks to HPP for putting up the small reflective street signs on some of the cross streets. These help under these conditions.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Not make a left at blind intersections?

I am old school so the rules may have changed.

Left turns always at own risk - with the exception of signaled intersections - is the way left turns are codified - still current?

any one have the Hawaii driving guide?
We lived at a Condominium complex in Maui. There were specific parking spots for each tenant and additional parking spots for 'unloading'. There were 15 mph speed limit signs posted.

According to the by-laws, the 'security guard' could issue tickets, payable by various fines according to the violation; including, but not limited to noise level, loose animals, even having the police out to your house for domestic violence.

The speeding tickets alone paid for his salary and the unloading zone and other various tickets paid to paint the building and update the central vac stacks.
thats why we moved t the big island - wanna be condo cops - grin

avoid making left turns - and condo cops is my advice - very often they seem to turn out badly - its about crossing lanes of traffic
quote:
Originally posted by pog

...and see this as a potential for daily death or simply are you another person who cannot adapt ?

pog

uh... what???
Wow.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
It's too close to Christmas to get into an argument, but just to show I can adapt don't be surprised to see me driving down H-130 in a second-hand Sherman tank next year. No problem worrying about the speeders with a few tons of metal between me and them! Wink

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/