Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HMC Cafeteria and Patient food
Well talking Rene's advice... I talked to the "Foodie Sleuth" Sonia martinez.... Well see what if anything develops..... She is going to see what she can find out.
When we lived on the Mainland and Tony discovered the cafeteria at The Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale...he would go there after his appointments for breakfast. He's kinda quiet and doesn't really make noise about much...certainly not a hospital cafeteria - but he always let me know he was going to Mayo for breakfast...LOL.[Smile]

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I think calling in Sonia Martinez is a good idea. She always has promoted heathy food prepared well, and now that she is retired this might be a good project for her. Besides that, she has name recognition and would have more clout when she approaches HMC admin. I hope we are kept in the loop on this, so we can add our support whenever it is needed - for example, a letter campaign.
quote:
Originally posted by Rene Siracusa

I think calling in Sonia Martinez is a good idea. She always has promoted heathy food prepared well, and now that she is retired this might be a good project for her. Besides that, she has name recognition and would have more clout when she approaches HMC admin. I hope we are kept in the loop on this, so we can add our support whenever it is needed - for example, a letter campaign.

Retired???? Sonia! Never! LOL.... She is my hanai mom... she brought my mom food to at the hospital because it is so bad there!
Although I think the world of the UH culinary program through HCC, I do not believe they have the time, manpower, nor expertise to take on the food service at HMC...

Most likely the one to join in on this conversation would be the HMC Food Service Director, Naomi A. Bartholomew....
I am sure that a part of her job is to take patient input, esp. if there are dietary concerns that are not being met by their Food Services Dept.

If going to Naomi does not get a satisfactory resolution, definitely go to the parent corp. HHSC...

As has been noted, HMC is adequately compensated for providing meals, & I am sure that the meals should conform to some standards... and these should be available for community members....
Try to get Robert Irvine from the Food Network to do a "Hospital Cafeteria Impossible" instead of a "Restaurant Impossible". He always says it actually costs less to cook fresh.
I think that HMC has massively bigger problems than lousy chow
quote:
Originally posted by Carey...
Most likely the one to join in on this conversation would be the HMC Food Service Director, Naomi A. Bartholomew....
I am sure that a part of her job is to take patient input, esp. if there are dietary concerns that are not being met by their Food Services Dept.

If going to Naomi does not get a satisfactory resolution, definitely go to the parent corp. HHSC...

Ai kudeesh.

I was not the 1st one to speak with Naomi, nor I assume will be the last.

I was trying to go about it in a way that might actually work i.e getting the real powers that be in the culinary world in East Hawaii and beyond involved. And actually Carey, although you know a lot about a lot of things, in this instance I would trust Sonia and all the groups she is involved with for someone to know someone who can actually make a difference rather than just pulling a name out of a directory.

Seeb,
I agree they have many issues to deal with, but improving the food through community pressure might be doable, while the other changes may be impossible. Women can't even get the kind of decent birth experience that has been standard practice on the mainland for 2 generations, even with enough demand that women drove to Waimea to have their babies there. It may seem trivial, but good food is really important for patients who are in for extended stays, they are sick and usually in pain, they are trapped in an unpleasant institutional environment and are frequently isolated from their loved ones, so decent meals can be a highlight of the patients' day. In addition, it is very important to eat while sick to keep strength up.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

Bills for overnight stays at HMC are pricey. You'd think for the price you'd get good meals. Not so. My operation and recovery time required me to stay there for 5 days. The operation cost $10,000 and took 3 hours....the room for 5 days cost $25,000 or approximately $5,000 a day. Meals were approximately $100.00+ each (and that was just for juice,vanilla pudding, chicken broth and tea).

Having spent to much time in a hospital this year I can agree with this statement, I was billed for three meals a day for 9 days, when I pointed out that I was unable to eat 8 of those days it was opps! I can make you feel better my 9 days billed out 280000 it did include surgery, twice.

I like it here in the shallow end of the gene pool
I like it here in the shallow end of the gene pool