Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb upgrades
I'm sorry are there cost to running a forum? Other then cost for the computer and internet ?
I know your time and trouble are priceless?
I just never realized there was money involved going out?
I'll gladly make a donation.
Yes you can make a donation at the front of the page (papal link)...

everything cost money nothing is free.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

I think adding advertising to defray the cost of running the forum is an excellent idea, so long as it's fairly non intrusive (like banner ads).

Also the ability to add photos etc would be greatly appreciated.

I have admined phpbbs and vbulletin forums and understand the challenge of running a forum. Keeping up with the security patches etc is a never-ending challenge.

I would argue against eliminating old posts. Archive them sure, but don't eliminate them. I think that some day they will have significant historical value.

Agree!

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
I have really slow internet, so anything that makes for slower loading would be a pill for me. But, since I appreciate your hard work, it is your decision. Maybe we could have a gold star after our name for donations, encourage us? I no longer do pay pal, and have neglected to chip in.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
I would like to request that if advertising is included (and I'm not opposed--this is a great site and I definitely want it to continue), is it possible to only have locally owned companies? And by local, I mean Big Island. I think that would be helpful for someone like me who wants to support local businesses, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on punaweb who feels this way.
Thanks for such an amazing site!
I'm OK with advertising too, and from all interested companies, local and mainland. Why should we prevent mainland companies from spending some of their cash here on the Big Island? Most of us know which companies are local and which are mainland-based, so we can allocate our spending as we see fit. If local companies think consumers can't figure out that they're Big island based, they can always make that part of their ad copy. And if someone on Punaweb isn't sure if a company is local or not, one post here should get them an answer pretty quickly.

Edited to add:

One final point: If any major mainland-based companies do advertise on Punaweb, it will be more for "supporting the community" purposes rather than as an effective advertising channel. The PunaWeb user universe is relatively small (all due respect to Rob...), and big advertisers already reach us economically through existing newspaper, radio and TV ads. The folks who will get the most benefit from PunaWeb advertising will be local plumbers, electricians, and small shops and restaurants that primarily serve Puna -- the overwhelming majority of which are Puna-based, and who would be wasting money advertising in media that reach the entire Island. So there's no need for any type of "locals only" ad restrictions.
"I have really slow internet, so anything that makes for slower loading would be a pill for me"

Good point. Much of Puna is on dial-up. Adding banners and images may make the site useless for those people.
Rob - I think having banner ads or however you choose to make ads available on the site will detract from Punaweb's character, but of course if it's becoming a financial burden then I think most would understand the change. I also seem to remember that one of the reasons you didn't allow photos or images to be posted in the past was because many are still on slow connections here and that was certainly appreciated by me as I was one of those people for quite a while. On the other hand, can you make just one of the sub-forums available for posting pictures? That way at least those on dial up or slow connections can avoid it while still enjoying the other (main) forums.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
I think having a subforum for pictures might be a good thing but not on punatalk.If you have to place adds because of cost to you of running Puna Forums be my guest.If you want keep adds of people lets send some money Rob way I see you can mail him a check I will have you one out Monday.Thanks Rob for Puna Web.

jrw
jrw
Firstly and most importantly, I want to thank Rob for this forum, I have enjoyed being able to participate immensly!

As far as upgrading and using advertising to pay for it, I agree with the banner ads as long as they aren't "Flash" ads. Moving ads are distracting in a big way. Ads from Puna-based companies could lend a distinct flavor to Punaweb.

There are forums that allow you to donate a fixed amount and for that donation, allow you to use the forum without having to see advertising.
Puna: Our roosters crow first