Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP GETS 12 MILLION TO PAVE ROADS!!!
quote:
Sorry Beachboy.
I should have been more clear.

Paved roads equal increased speed.
Paradise Drive is a good example of this.

The children I knew were in first grade and second grade.

One boy was waiting for the school-bus...
on the corner of 30th, I believe.
One was riding his bike...near 6th.

They're both quite dead I'm afraid.
Not sure where the parents were.
But I can guess where their heads are now.

My point? This type of tragedy will be occurring with far greater frequency, now that the side roads are slated to be paved.

but malolo it really is time to pave these roads. More accidents are gonna happen regardless. Why? Because HPP is the fastest growing subdivision in all of Hawaii hands down ,and with it or growth anywhere comes more problems. I believe they are all problems that can be avoided to.

Hell I grew up on Maui when there was only one street light on the entire island, and it was on the other side too!
Progress cannot be stopped, especially when you live in a state where most if not all it's revenue comes from tourism.

Malolo, it makes me sick that any child would die because of people not being considerate..

Edited by - beachboy on 06/28/2007 08:58:39
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Speed bumps, IMHO, are not a good idea. Personally, the are bad for car alignment not matter what speed. The "noise maker" things (for a lack of a better word! ha ha ) like they have coming down the hill from Akaka Falls is a better idea. Surprisingly, Hwy 220 has over 1,000,000 people a year on that road as of 2000 - the accidents are surprisingly low.

Pavement, speed bumps.... whats next? Gated? Oh wait - that is the fight down here in Kapoho! And yes I dont want my Hawaii to change. I just was in Kona... Kua bay is paved, no overnight camping and PICNIC tables?? That beach used to be deserted! 69's - same and now with a place to shower??? Do you know it was paid for by the resorts so the "riff raff" wouldnt be using "their" beaches dispite the fact that Hawaii has a strong law about beach access.

Donald Trump and Oprah go home! Do any of you realize the more and more mainland amenities there are - the easier it is for more people to move here?

Answer this for me - (today is my day for questions!)

1) What brought you here?
2) How do you justify making this land like "back home" instead of acclimating to the Big Island culture and traditions?
3) Name six neighbors on your street (Kahuna Scott I know you can do this one easy!! Good for you!)
4) What are the pluses to picking your mail up in Pahoa or Keaau? or at kevin's (OSMS)place.... rather than house delivery?
5) How will your life improve dramatically by getting better cell service or better internet service? (In my case, better cell service was a "be careful of what you wish for" thing!)

Edited by - kapohocat on 06/28/2007 09:10:43
I agree with everything you wrote Kapohocat. Growth may be inevitable but we could slow it down.

Nobody anywhere can freeze a place in time to keep it exactly like they want it or have convinced themself is ideal. Sorry. Localities and cultures which embrace sensible change and try to adapt it to their unique situations are the ones that survive. Others tend to get swept aside by history.

The people in HPP have chosen this "improvement" perhaps because it is the only one they have any control over at this time. The road (maintenance and construction) financing system has been tested in court and is a legal framework for getting something done. Other issues we Puna residents frequently complain about such as law enforcement, commercial zoning, public education, transportation, etc. all fall under either County or State authorities. The County and State have not exactly been forthcoming with significant help for Puna, have they? Hell, the highway department doesn't even like to talk to us.

So the way I see it is at least one group of people in Puna have taken the initiative to do something about the one issue they have the means to do something about. It may not be some people's first choice of priorities, but the side with the most votes won, and they won't have to wait decades for an indifferent county or state government to act.

No disrespect, Kapohocat, but your questions should be boiled down to "What is the best way to deal with the inevitable changes that are going to happen?"

I moved here because what I saw here. Love the cinder roads and the flavor of the area. Now all the masses want the roads paved. I voted against them and proud of my stand. Now you worry about speeding so now you want speed bumps! GOODGOD! Next you'll want Wally World to build out here. Why can't people just leave it alone? If you want warm climate, beaches and all the BS, why not move to California??!! It has it all already. I swear I'm reading the KONA WEB all over again.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Edited by - Royall on 06/28/2007 12:24:31

Please note that I personally do not like speed bumps, but I have heard my neighbors discussing it. Those things Kapohocat wrote about from the Falls are called rumble strips and are a better option IMHO.

I abstained on the paving vote due to several conflicted feelings. It was the first vote of any sort I have passed on since moving here.

Paved roads would not be my highest priority for HPP, but the majority has spoken. To paraphrase Chunkster (who I do not fully agree with): At least one group of people in Puna is taking action on something instead of just complaining about it. I hope it all works out sanely.

Cheers,
Jerry

We've got speedbumps on the paved roads in my neighborhood in lower Puna, and they work. They only seem to aggravate the people that are in big hurry. As far as suspension damage, I'll take the speedbumps slowly over potholed cinder roads anyday, and with less dust. I would also encourage HPP residents to look into "Chip Seal" surfacing (Kapoho Kai Rd for example). On flat stretches it works great, is easy and inexpenive to repair, and initially costs a fraction of what asphalt runs. Hills and gullys need the real deal though.

I live off Kapoho Kai and yes the chip seal is fine. The new speed bumps are a major pain the okole. No one goes very fast in here and yet they are about every 50-100 ft.
Could the speedbumps be the reason no one goes fast in Vacationland? To me, speedbumps are the lesser of evils compared to speeders. I can't believe I'm sounding like a bump salesman. It's just that people speeding through residential neighborhoods are a source of great annoyance to me, and a danger to all.

quote:
Could the speedbumps be the reason no one goes fast in Vacationland? To me, speedbumps are the lesser of evils compared to speeders. I can't believe I'm sounding like a bump salesman. It's just that people speeding through residential neighborhoods are a source of great annoyance to me, and a danger to all.

if you have been to Vacationland, then you know that the shape of the roads (very short blocks /and curved block sections) is why people dont go fast. You cant pick up that kind of speed in essentially 250'.

And there were speed bumps - one on each block. The issue I mentioned is the addition of speed bumps so that they are every 100 ft at the entrance. To go from the mailboxes to my driveway, I cross 4 speed bumps in less than 1/8' mile.

I strongly do not agree that it is the right thing to do, especially when my SO was told that it was the "keep the locals" out. Verbatim quote.

And I apoligize to those who started this thread, it was about the paving of HPP & their speed issues... not Kapoho's! ha ha -

Edited by - kapohocat on 06/29/2007 08:26:14