Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone in volcano see the guava infected yet?
Julie, PLEASE read the reports on the gall...You will not see "forest of sickened trees", trees will have galled leaves, may not produce AS MUCH fruit as now, and hopefully will not grow as fast as now, but, even total infestations, these trees will still produce fruit & continue to grow JUSY NOT QUITE AS FAST & EXPONENTIALLY....

If you are basing your comments on the strawberry guava you have on your lot, and your lot was not root-braided up feet with inter-tangled roots & strawberry guava trees, then maybe you should visit some of the areas that are FULLY invaded, with strawberry guava overgrowing strawberry guava.

It is very important to remember a couple of things, the most important is how the public was manipulated on this issue. Many people who have been on island for quite a while to lifetimes have the local memory of when finding a strawberry guava was rare, and a real treat... this image is within the collective memory of this island... and this memory was used to promote the agenda of a small group of people.

The second is to remember that a century ago it was very rare to find strawberry guava & the fruit was treasured for its uniqueness. 50 years ago you would find a few here & there....and much of the fruit was collected & used. In the last 50 years it has overgrown many area, is now longer rare and most of the fruit is NOT collected, nor is it a fond memory for many property owners. It has become a nuisance....

The reason are layered, but the main one is that the tree out-produced the fruit needs of the island years ago, and now produces so much excess fruit that it has the potential of displacing much of the native forests, and control even on a few acres of forestry becomes a constant vigil....

Just image the work you have put into your lot, overgrown in just a couple of years... to the point where you would need to re-hire an excavator just to get through the strawberry guava... this is the issue many landowners are facing... esp. those that are trying to re-establish some of the native forest trees....

I have often stated to those that are opposed to this type of measure:
Volunteer on the work crews, so that your wants & the needs of the native forest are both served....but after a few years of volunteering your available time, you will start seeing that there are not enough people willing to volunteer their time & money to slow down the exponential growth of the strawberry guava here.... After twisting a few ankles on the layered roots, you will see that even hunters do not go into these guava mazes....as there are many more areas that have far easier hunting....
The only thing that I know works on the strawberry guava is a D-9. If the wasp can help, more power to it. I have perhaps 30 acres that are almost impossible to enter or exit. Choke guava.... I hate the stuff.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
So will this infect the commercial guava? Like my guava orchard.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
This has been answered a hundred times already and is completely spelled out in the EA. I know I am coming across as being snotty but what is the point of addressing your concerns if you can't be bothered to step up and read what has already been written a hundred times? It is difficult to think of you as a critical thinker and respond in kind if you don't already know what the prevailing theory is given that this has been a hot topic for something like 5 years at least.
If you stare at the infected galls too long you will start to hallucinate then the world will begin to spin. If you keep your eyes open you will eventually find the true meaning of life.
Carey, thanks for that link. Up until today, I had never even heard of this thing being released.

I am obviously happy to see the strawberry guava be dealt with. I know it's been very hard on many many property owners, as well as the local forest.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
I attended Tracy's lecture on the latest news, last month at forestry. Selected plants have been infected and are being monitored and data is being collected. By hand, the organism was placed leaf by leaf. The tree's leaves get galled and the fruiting process is "stunted" or slowed down. No it doesn't affect commercial guava. Someone in the audience asked if there will be a "galled plant giveaway day" so we can go infect strawberry guava on our own property. Don't remember the answer but I do remember all the laughter. We were also told you can't snip a branch off and try to infect your own area as the slow-growing larva requires a living plant.

Elimination of strawberry guava will still require the D-9, chainsaw, machete and trichlopyr. The purpose of the gall is to slow the invasive spread of the plant as it does not kill the tree.

Here's one of Tracy's introductory videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-EdRCUEYRs
Less fruit, less feral pig population, right?

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Boy I sure sounded snotty there. Sorry.
I am not sure of the relationship between SG and pigs. I understand that the fruit production is not continuous so there may be a feast/famine effect. In other words the pigs may routinely have to deal with loss of SG on an annual basis.

As with any wild animal living off the land, their numbers would be limited based on available food. In the long run the pigs will be just as hungry with or without SG, there just will be more or fewer of them. In the short run yes there may be hungrier pigs for a while.