Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
short article on retaining Hawaii teachers
Most of our daughters teachers are pretty awesome, and care a LOT. She thanks them all the time for putting up with the low cost and hard work. This 007 guy though, I think is most likely a nutcase. I told my daughter if she feels uncomfortable or unsafe to go directly to the principal. He's been a very helpful guy, and very helpful in helping our daughter get a good education at Keaau High.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
I was researching a job as a college librarian on Mau'i a few years ago. The pay was half what I made in California. When I spoke to the Library Director he told me that it's the result of a "Paradise Tax." That people are willing to accept jobs with crummy salaries just to live in Hawai'i.

Are the low salaries that teachers receive typical of other professions? If so, the "Paradise Tax" may be a contributing factor.
It's not just salaries. It's also weird schedules. I know of a nurse still on the night shift at the medical center after wanting to move to days for 5 yrs. She finally left for another hospital. There is an endless supply of "travelers" willing to take medical assignments in HI.
Really reads like a lack of respect for the employees and a need to meet a mandate - instead of producing educated citizens. What is the current LCD 7th grade on a world (includes Somalia) standard ....... we produce workers - not independent thinkers by and large. (Spoken as an employer - that pays well)

Kind of silly to put a 33k$ person in a class room to teach kids how to do well - other than playing the game and becoming "administrator" -

what do administrators produce? - administrations? - grin

the answer very simple - Respect for both the teacher and student.
Was just forwarded this op-ed piece from the New York Times that really hits the nail on the head regarding the country' lack of respect for teachers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/opinion/01eggers.html
Good article Erlinda. It hits a lot of nails on the head. I also think a lot of people go into teaching wanting to change the world. It is noble, but teachers naturally having a kindness and love for kids do not always have a thick skin for really difficult kids, parents and the politics that every school has.
Many low income school districts will get the recent grads that may have a lot of passion and energy, but that gets put out quickly and they leave. . If those schools were to hire some veteran, well recognized teachers ( national certification, teacher of the year, good recs, ect.) they could be recruited. However, many admin don't want to pay that salary schedule, or have someone they can't push around easily.
timely find - 8th grade exam 1912

http://www.bullittcountyhistory.com/bchi...m1912.html

how well would our kids do today - how well did you do? - grin
Could be worse. This is a recent private school exam but it's the direction Texas, Kentucky and Kansas are going with their public education system. Oh yeah, the future of Amurica.

http://i.imgur.com/TYpLJpOh.jpg

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Wow Ted - that's just sad.
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile