Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
geothermal delayed
just curious gyp...80% killed ohias covering how big of an area?
mahalo in advance
In July, I think it was, HELCO issued a report about where all the BI energy is currently coming from, and what the costs are. Currently over 40% of the electricity in the BI that HELCO sells is generated from renewable sources, and the next milestone is a goal of 50% by 2015.

Part of the plan to meet that goal is a new 50 - 60 MW geothermal plant in Kona. Although the report doesn't specify where, previous geothermal potential maps show the biggest area after the current Puna site is one in south Kona.

The overall geothermal potential from the BIG Island is figured at about 750 MW far more than we currently need in total. It's interesting to me that on a historical note, King Kalakaua, last reigning King of Hawai'i, had discussions with Thomas Edison about the possibility of generating electricity using the heat of the volcano, and undersea cable to bring that power to the other islands.

Everything old is new again!
Frank thanks for your concern, We have watched about 12 to 15 Ohia tree's die per acre, Every six months now for 4 years. So if these acres have 150 Ohia then over 100 have died. The total area affected is from Seaview, upper Opihikao, Leilani, Poihiki, ect. Heard maybe Beatles, disease, natural, yet when I had J.B Friday and his University crew come out he was stunned and stumped. Too much money has been dumped in to past Ohia die-offs (50's and 70's) Before we even had geothermal. When Geothermal first came out to Puna I also remember 100 year old Ohia dying due to poor air quality next to GEO. Now we have a mass dye-off, a multi- million dollar plant, No health study, Yet we are to just believe the Ohia out my windows are dying naturally. The leaves all turn orange then fall onto my roof, wash down my gutters, into my catchment, then onto my KIDS tooth brushes But hey the state says its natural and happens every 20 years. We are going to have plenty of Albesia in place of the Ohia and that's not something to hang your hat on, at least maybe the birds and bees will have trees again.
Howdy neighbor DK2, I enjoy hearing your views, especially different views. Not much disagreeing when everyone agrees, frankly I would not be on here much if I didn't mind a good disagreement now and then. That is great news from you about your Ohia. Most likely the Geothermal is not what is killing my Ohia, Your right 2k. It's the fact of not knowing for sure with some kind of independent health study. AIR, Water, Soil, Health, Both short term and long term study, As long as the company is making money, kind of study. The State not having a current study or a sufficient past study is part of the insecure feeling we carry. The fact that some were promised relocation if desired or needed, and it not being there now is troubling. The fact that we have lost some family and very close friends who also lived through Geothermals trials and tribulation periods here in Puna. No health study lets us no what? Why are so many dying young, with tumors, and rare untreatable cancers? Why are there so many more boys born in this area than girls?. Is it really safe having such a large possible pollutant in our back yards Water catchments?.
Those are only a few questions we live with here, that I don't think we would have to ask ourselves if we lived in say other parts of the state?. The worry or stress for loved ones such as partners and children may have life long effects?. Any way I have lived as a neighbor to Geothermal as long as He has operated his business, so I choose to voice, write, and encourage others to get out now or avoid moving close to geothermal. Yes our taxes and land value are about the same as everyone elses, But everyone else does not experience geothermals waste.
I hate to inject science into this discussion, but has anyone actually mapped all the lava tubes, fissures, etc, to see if there's a pattern to any of this?

My ohia are fine, except for the one that grows (err, is dying) in the part of the lot where a lava tube is believed to exist. (It's not exposed, and I don't have a ground-penetrating radar rig...)

I occasionally get a burst of the "rotten eggs" for maybe an hour or two; these are a brief-and-intense odor, not the subtle winds of vog. Usually at night.
USGS maps show hundreds of little volcanic features in that area hidden by the jungle.but I think any maps or surveys of lava tube are not published because they dont want people wandering around in them
Thanks for the concern, I have a couple more questions also. Is there a map showing past and active Geothermal wells?. Is it possible to have leaks within their equipment under ground?, If so can this leaked gas or waste get into the lava tubes above the drilling, or can it spill over to our water wells?. Anyway thanks for the real concern about real residential questions. Throw science in here folks, Any ideas are good regarding Geothermal procedures at the moment. We are about to feel the impacts of more Geothermal activity in our area, without really knowing the impacts of the current one. P.S What's the hold up, could it be Money or HEALTH?.
You do realize that the whole rift zone is one massive area of cracks and leaks I hope.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Of course Rob, because of those facts (volcano) we will really never know if area concerns are Geothermal or volcanic now. Back in the day if you had a series of earthquakes it raised a red flag of possible Eruption, not any more because its probably Geothermal Drilling again?. Back in the day if you smelled sulfur or gases frequently you could have an idea that it was from Pele, Not anymore because it may be and most likely, just Another leak from Geothermal. These Ohia that are Dying are all sizes and age, Even 150 year old Ohia that survived other die offs. I first noticed this Die off in the trees around the steam vents on the highway, 4 years ago, (Sanford cinders) and watched it spread like a virus right down the road or RIFT zone. With a four year drought and the possibility of warmer grounds by lava its any one's guess?. Just a lot more guesses when you throw Geothermal in the mix. OR GMO fields and their spraying habits into the mix. We have an epidemic that is killing a lot of our Ohia rain forests here in Puna, And before the state gives us the blessing of yet another possible contributor to our loss of peace?. We should search for answers yet one more time with real money today, with tech and scientist of today used to gain a better understanding of the phenomena. JMO and concern living on an active volcano that may be giving me or all of us signs?. But hey she is carving out a new path down the edge of her rift zone right now, And the trees are dyeing, And the smells of egg seem more prevalent. So geothermal will probably agree with me when I say its Probably volcanic effects that I am WHINING about. lol P.S. The OHIA is a sensitive tree, yet it probably has the best chance of survival on a volcanoes crater or rift zone than most other trees?. These are studies that should be done now during such activities. Maybe the volcano could bless us with many more educated jobs in our area with in the independent study fields?. rather than be drilled into and encouraged for big profits?. And give them a Living wage too, for this also could lead to better and longer living in areas like this.
Well Dragon2k, again you surprise me with your simple solutions to YOUR hippie problems. You know IDG would have to doze all those same burials and Hawaiian history. One of the largest known Hawaiian villages I believe were in the Poihiki area, Which has stopped development in the past down in Poihiki. What is surprising to me is the willingness of the Hawaiians to further more crush their past and Aina, rather than try and preserve their history and precious land. I guess they would only be leasing the land to IDG and geothermal profits, So at least the Hawaiians will get to tap into the left over cesspool for their future taro gardens?. The Hawaiians use to lead the charge against Geothermal in the 80's, now they are giving their land away for more. What has changed???$$ D2k please enlighten me.