Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heads UP! - Here Comes Flossie
So, I'm watchin' the NOAA images...IF (and this is just and "if"Wink we needed to evacuate, I'm in HSRE...do we go to Keonepoko School? The Civil Defense site at http://www.hawaii-county.com/cd/hpg/main.html says to look in the phone book and that site shows school addresses and phone numbers... hey it's just a year since we're here and if you have any good advice on preparedness, lemme know!

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
If there are any Puna webbers (or others) who have someone they worry about down in our neighborhood (Kapoho Vacationland), please email me with contact info (location & name - phone will probably not be useful then) so we can check on them if the worst happens.
cat, seems like you've been in Vacationland for awhile -- have you ever seen surge wash over the tidepools and come into the neighborhood?

I see a lot of dwellings are up high, at least 12 feet, but cars, etc.. are not. Wondering ...

BULLETIN
HURRICANE FLOSSIE ADVISORY NUMBER 16
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP092007
500 AM HST SUN AUG 12 2007

...DANGEROUS HURRICANE FLOSSIE CONTINUES OVER THE OPEN PACIFIC OCEAN...
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 140 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 90 MILES.
EVERYONE IN THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS URGED TO CONTINUE MONITORING THE PROGRESS OF HURRICANE FLOSSIE. ALTHOUGH THE CURRENT FORECAST
PLACES FLOSSIE SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII IN A FEW DAYS...A SMALL SHIFT IN THE TRACK COULD POTENTIALLY BRING TROPICAL STORM...
OR HURRICANE...CONDITIONS TO THE BIG ISLAND BY LATE TUESDAY.

quote:
cat, seems like you've been in Vacationland for awhile -- have you ever seen surge wash over the tidepools and come into the neighborhood?

I see a lot of dwellings are up high, at least 12 feet, but cars, etc.. are not. Wondering ...

Yes it has come back 2 streets and washed cars back. I will look for the Fema website that has the flooding area down here. Basically the highest flooding point has been one block away (so far) past John Dirgo's lot. There is discusion about the storm surge plus wave height - how far back that will go. We just called our neighbors who left for vacation Wed about moving their cars to high ground. Right now the COH eng dept requires that the first floor of your house be 12+ above sea level. The older homes are not that at all. Our house sits at 11' elevation, and our first living area sits at 12' above that. if it gets to where I see water anywhere close to this block, we made arrangements to go to friends in HA. We are also moving our cranky old van here today to load up with our hurricane preparations so bsically jump in it and go! Our propane tanks x 3 are filled. A older timer than me was discussing this AM some of the tropical storms and said that even if the hurricane decreases, plenty water is coming. Thats how we made the HA rather than Honomu (landslides) decision for evacuation.

thanks, that's what I wanted to know! I have a friend whose out of state who may need to have his car moved then, as it's parked underneath in the front row of houses across from the tidepools.

That is a good idea. Last week with the high "high" tides there was a lot of water crossing the road near there.

Here is a link to the surf predictions:
http://www.lajollasurf.org/images/pacanimne.gif
BULLETIN
HURRICANE FLOSSIE ADVISORY NUMBER 20
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP092007
500 AM HST MON AUG 13 2007

...A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...

AT 500 AM HST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS
HURRICANE FLOSSIE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 14.9 NORTH...LONGITUDE
149.5 WEST OR ABOUT 495 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO...HAWAII AND ABOUT
705 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HONOLULU...HAWAII.

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH AND THIS
MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 140 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. FLOSSIE
IS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME
WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE
CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 110
MILES.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 957 MB...28.26 INCHES.

THE MAIN EFFECTS FROM HURRICANE FLOSSIE ARE EXPECTED ON THE BIG
ISLAND TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT. A WARNING MAY BE REQUIRED FOR THE
BIG ISLAND LATER TODAY. EVERYONE IN HAWAII IS URGED TO CLOSELY
MONITOR FUTURE BULLETINS AS THIS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE
APPROACHES THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

REPEATING THE 500 AM HST POSITION...14.9 N...149.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...
140 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...957 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE CENTRAL PACIFIC
HURRICANE CENTER AT 800 AM HST FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE
ADVISORY AT 1100 AM HST.

Is everyone boarding up their windows and doors...is this adviseable for larger window expanses at this point?

thanks for any preventative advice around the home environment.

noel

If anyone sees my palapa flying by, would you please let me know?