Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TWO BIRDS??
Several pairs of saffron finches have been living in our neighborhood (Hawaiian Beaches) for about the last year. They are truly magnificent.

Some of them like to hang out on any vehicle's side-view mirrors and argue with the birdie inside. Fun to watch and listen to, but, in the process, they leave a trail of "leavings" down the side of the car/truck. That's why you'll see many parked vehicles with dish towels wrapped around the mirrors.

But no one here would think of chasing them away.
Obie thank you for the link. I am sure it was interesting, unfortunately the tribune herald does not allow this unless you pay $12.00. Why?. I buy my news paper at 7 11 and grocery stores is that not enough?. Any way the barn owl does eat rats and keeps an eye out for trespassers. I love it when an owl gets spooked and lets me know when something is in the close area. I always appreciate seeing an owl the same way as the hawk and I don't point for some strange reason.
You should be able to read it on this link.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/government...n-owls/123
I get a lot of the red-crested cardinals up here in Volcano. AKA Brazilian Cardinals, I have a friend who calls them "Red Headed Tuxedo Birds," because their white front and dark grey wings look like an old fashioned formal morning coat, and make such a sharp contrast with their brilliant red heads.

And I get lots and lots of honey creepers, as I have a lot of ohias and I'm on the flyway between the National Park and the Olala Forest. I'm a complete sucker for them. They're very social, very playful, like little red or yellow or green flying monkeys. I can just sit and watch them for hours.

The yellow finches I don't see as much here, but they're always around the grass areas at Cooper Center on Wright Road. They also get mynahs there.

I see Pueo occasionally. One greeted me the first day I stepped onto my property in Volcano, flying from the farthermost corner of the land over my head. Later when I told a native Hawaiian the story, she said it was a very good omen, in traditional ways... like the owl was welcoming me.

And I get the goofy Kalij pheasants every day, usually in 3s.

One thing that helps the bird variety up here is that at 4,000' altitude and cooler temperatures, the birds are not as badly afflicted with the mosquitoes carrying avian malaria further down the slope.