Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legality of Topfree for Women in Hawaii
Kehena Beach in Puna and Makena Beach ('little side') on Maui are the only 2 public spots you WILL NOT get ticketed being naked (cops look then other way, because of tourist industry) ....otherwise its illegal in Hawaii to be nude in public places...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

It would appear that the act of nude sunbathing and particularly in areas where others are engaged in the same activity cannot be considered a crime. So there's your answer... keep it on the beach where others are doing the same or do it in a remote not so populated area and there shouldn't be a legal problem. Public breast feeding is protected by Hawaii State law but general public breast exposure is not.
http://drleisure.com/SupremeHawaii.html

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.

Not exactly. I recently spoke to a guy who got a $250 ticket for being naked at Beach 67 - a fairly secluded, traditionally clothing optional beach on the Kona side that is mentioned in several mainstream tourist guides.
The OP asked about "top freedom" not nudity. There is something like a "Go Topless Day" as KGMB news earlier this year featured a topless woman in Honolulu out on the street encouraging other women to take up the cause with no reported interference by the police. It seems that Hawai'i is among the states where topless is legal, which is certainly consistent with historical precedent.

A quick Google at http://gotopless.org/topless-laws also indicates we in the topless-legal crowd.
quote:
Originally posted by Lupie

I say go ahead and try it and see what happens. Then let us all know. Wink

Hi, Lupie: That's what I like...reading some words of encouragement[Smile]

So, I think that's what will happen, though we won't be able to provide a "breaking news update" until late September/early October.

And, just to clarify to all those who have taken the time to respond, the original question was specific to female topfreedom (the relatively new term for toplessness). Thanks to all who have posted. I'm frankly surprised at the response.

Todd
Todd
quote:
Originally posted by peteadams

The OP asked about "top freedom" not nudity. There is something like a "Go Topless Day" as KGMB news earlier this year featured a topless woman in Honolulu out on the street encouraging other women to take up the cause with no reported interference by the police. It seems that Hawai'i is among the states where topless is legal, which is certainly consistent with historical precedent.

A quick Google at http://gotopless.org/topless-laws also indicates we in the topless-legal crowd.

Hello, Pete:

Thanks for the post, and for steering the discussion back to the topic of topfreedom.

Here is another link that should be of interest to everyone, as there is a specific report on Hawaii (though the Island of Oahu, and not Hawaii). Even so, it's worth reading:

http://www.tera.ca/

Note: Once you get to the site, scroll down to August 27, 2013.

So, from what I'm inferring, topfreedom is legal, though certainly not practiced in modern times.[8D]

Todd
Todd
[quote]Originally posted by Carey

I am in Keaau town...in a neighborhood that was built in the 40's & 50's where your neighbors can, and do, look into your yard & still has many of the original families... & they are not of the ...um ... "topfreedom" generation...

There are not many string tops here (I am talking mostly string, not fabric....closer to "topfreedom" than bikini - rarely even see them at the university...and have not seen any "topfreedom" there, where I would expect an....out-pouring... if it was a socially acceptable practice...)

But I do agree with Lupie....try it, but please let us all know the responses....

Hi, Carey-

Mahalo! We're already anxious to visit Hawaii, even though it's still several months away. Was 32 degrees this morning in Seattle[Sad!]

At this point, and based on what I'm reading, there's a 99% chance that my wife will want to test the waters and exercise her legal rights.

Todd
Todd
I am highly qualified on this subject(modest joke). I lived on a beachfront property for many years on Oahu. Every now and then a topless honey would show up in front of our house. Then our Bible waving (but tiny blazing pink bikini-wearing neighbor) would call the cops. I asked one officer what was the crime. She looked befuddled and said something about "a complaint."

A co-worker, an attorney, is now a judge. She cited case law and, by golly, the cop was right. Breasts (the law does not discriminate between genders) can be shown in public unless there is a "complaint." Then the police can be called to make them be covered. So Kehena is an option and 67s is on the Kona side. At 67s one has to walk over the rocks around to the right from the beach area right down from the parking area. Wouldn't have know about it if my wife and I had not been surfing there. It is a private area not easily accessed by the covered beachgoers.

The island of Hawaii, despite a liberal and tolerant attitude in many areas, is also conservative. No strip clubs or topless bars. East and west Hawaii are different, the east side being more "local" and the west more influenced by recent arrivals. I live near Hilo and can never remember young ladies at the malls in bikini tops. Locals tend to live and let live so they don't mind if the "crazy hippies" go naked at Kehena. All you need to wear there is sunblock. Have fun.
Do bring lots of sunscreen at lat 20 the newbees seem burn easy.... man sometimes those cruise ship folk look like lobsters by their 5pm curfew

You may like Ibiza Spain as well, more of a top optional place
quote:
Breasts (the law does not discriminate between genders) can be shown in public unless there is a "complaint."

Many of our fine local institutions are "complaint-driven", so no surprise there...
300 lb 5ft2 german tourist in speedo's count?

some things should be criminalized - grin