Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you ride ?
Out of curiosity, what is with the check engine lights always poppin on there ? I am drawing a blank as to why that would happen other than poor quality gas ?
I am more inclined to think it might be corrosion in the wiring harness...

Our Focus had it pop on (code reader SAYS it is the Fuel gauge, but that works.. happened right around when the CD player had a real melt-down, so I am leaning towards something in that area...but we keep the code reader close by, just to make sure it is still only a "Fuel Gauge" issue...)
Corrosion ? From sea salt ? we dont really have that problem in So FLo and we are surrounded by beaches as well.
VOG is also corrosive & gets into small spaces... unlike sea spray it is not wind driven, and is smaller particles than water droplets of sea spray

That plus the east side cliffs do a very good job of atomizing the sea spray.... hardware on the windward side of our house (3 miles from the ocean) has more corrosion than the leeward side...

But our Focus did have 3 road salt winters...so...
My daily driver is a 2011 ford f350 diesel crew cab. I also have a 1978 lincoln mark v in pristine condition i inherited from my parents.
I shipped a '97 Subaru Outback 6 years ago, against all advice. (The shipping was more than the bluebook value, etc.) It gave me 5 years here with only incidental expense. (The check engine light was on for entire 5 years.) I finally gave it up for a newer Subaru but certainly have no regrets about bringing my "old" car. Friends that moved here more recently say their only regret was not bringing their "old" small truck which they practically had to give away in California. Consider that you will need something appropriate for trips to the dump, and all-wheel drive is good for our often rain slick roadways even if you don't go off-road.
I can't imagine not having my Tacoma 4 cyl 4WD extended cab. Unless, in my dreams, I get a 4-door with automatic. You really can't take friends with you in the extended cab for any distance...
If you don't like it after driving it here, I'm sure it would sell quickly.

bamboo2u
My Tacoma pickup (small size) had the check engine light go out a while back too. I heard the climate is hard on them. By the way, I haven't checked my gas mileage here in this climate. I seemed to get about 24mpg in the pacific northwest. I have Armstrong rollup windows. I do NOT like the new cars that do everything for me. Too much expensive stuff to go wrong. I need to haul stuff too often to go without my little pickup. And if I don't need to haul stuff for myself, my daughter, who live 6 miles away (with my son in law and granddaughter) ALWAYS have projects for me to do. Plus, we have no trash/rubbish pick up here in HPP, so everyone hauls their own stuff to the free nearest dumps. There is on in Keaau, Pahoa, and Hilo. The Pahoa dump is the nicest dump I've ever seen.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I have a hatchback, and it works very well (for me) for Puna. Has plenty of get-up-and-go for the Saddle Road, can park in small spots, gets 30mpg, has a plastic mat in the back that works well for hauling trash and recycling. Sometimes I wish I had a Jeep, but my hatchback is fine for most cinder roads.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
What kind of hatchback Justin ?

I was considering a Jeep but they can have lots of problems and I am guessing parts and labor are probably pricey ?

Right now I can get a 2007 Acura RDX AWD 80,000 miles one owner Florida car, for $14,000 and I think I am going to get that....a little fancy but its a SUV all wheel drive and a hell of a deal.

I checked similar prices in HI and they sell for about 3-4k more.