Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Storage Tanks
This may be a pretty lame question but how much is bottled water at the grocery store?

Dave I'll give my response now, Really!?

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

HADave: Best deal is free county water at the community tap at Keonopuka Nui (Pahoa) water tap, or at kaimu-Kalapana tap, or pohaku-HPP tap, Free, bring your own container, or the machine in front of Malama Market, 25 cents a gallon, bring your own container, basically the same water. Inside the store you'll pay for however trendy you want to get.=)

Does this mean that folks do'nt drink or cook using catchment water?

Ajit
Hawaiian rain water is da best! We use sediment filters and also a ultra violet lamp filters that kills 99.99% of bacteria.
Lee

We drank catchment water at one of the rentals where there was a cover that was elevated over the pool. The owner lives on the east coast of the mainland and drinks from the same. At another rental where we stayed by Lava Tree National Park the mesh cover layed in the water, and the realtor told us to use bottled water, which wasn't supplied. She said we could use the catchment for cooking which we did, however made coffee with bottled water just to be safe. People I know who have and maintain their own systems and are therefore sure of the cleanliness of their water use it for everything. Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
most people i know, including myself pour a concrete ring and just set up a doughboy with the liner that comes with it and with a poly cover, mine is almost 9 years old and i just replaced the cover, otherwise no problems. it'll probably last another 5-7 years. we use our water for everything except drinking. the rainwater in puna is highly acidic. for drinking we simply go down to the county spigots and fill up bottles a couple times a week.

Ayuh, I've been wating for someone to say these very words, sounds like a plan to me. Thanks loffelkopffl I have a question with regards to the cement base (ring) doesn't seismic activity concern you with regard to using cement? Also if you have to have 10k gals. for insurance, what size pool did you use? By the way Mella L tells me we are almost neighbors we will be in Hawaiian Acres lower end of D road. Appreciate your input Ayuh!

Dave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

dave, we have alot of earthquakes(small ones)and so far i only have one small crack in my cement ring. i believe the cement ring is the way to go, it stablizes your pool better, it also gives you more gallons than if you were sitting on the ground because it's like a cone inside the ring. the 18' diameter pools will give you 10,000 gallons.

Do you have to use an expandable liner, are you building the ground up some before pouring the concrete? I'm imagining like we were installing a regular pool for swimming with a deeper than side-wall base. Like from 3 1/2ft to say 5 ft deep? Thanks

Dave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

I just want to add a note of thanks to all of you guys. It takes an informed person to ask a credible question and I appreciate you all for sharing this with us. These are important concerns.
If I had an informed and intelligent question I would post it! HAha.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA