Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leilani Com. Assoc. ....
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Albizzia tends toward low-density, not useful for construction, and burns quickly.

Cuttings will root if given the opportunity.

Most subdivision roads are "private", so it's not clear that County will actually do anything.

So it would be good enough to run through a chipper is about all.
quote:
So it would be good enough to run through a chipper is about all.

Yes, and this activity would constitute "biomass production", for which a property tax break is available.
I did some research about growing edible mushrooms commercially here, and I came across a paper written by a UHH grad student who was trying out growing mushrooms on various local woods, based on their tests I think albizias would be great for growing oyster mushrooms. Bringing mushroom spores to Hawaii for commercial agriculture is really complicated and requires tons of paperwork, which may explain why no one is doing this yet. Sorry, I did this research a couple of computers ago and I don't have the citation handy.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I just looked into this also! It seemed like a very good "crop" for here. I think there is a commercial mushroom farm currently on the BI.
Albizia is considered a very good wood for making paper, and I read there was some interest in the past by Japanese investors in building a paper mill in Puna, but obviously that didn't happen.

It's not very good for firewood, because it's caloric value is low.

There is a commercial mushroom business over Honakaa way.

I've grown oyster mushrooms on coffee grounds... worked really well.
The Honoka'a people are growing mushrooms using a very different medium and process, not one that uses any of the non native invasive trees growing all over this island. I've lived downwind of paper pulp mills, I would not wish that on anyone.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Hi Carol,

Pleurotus Oystae is available for cultivation in Hawai'i - we grow them at the UH.

- I could probably get you some mycelium if you want any.
RainyJim,
I would love to delve into this, especially with my students if I get to teach science next year (please, please, please universe, let me do this). But I am going to be hammered with work until this summer, will your offer hold for then? I would want to go back and do more research on what age/diameter albizia oysters would grow best on before I get my hands on some mycelium.

Carol

edited to fix stupid typo
Carol

Polish Proverb
CS- maybe there is some kind of grant that could finance your investigation of this? It's a terrific idea. Maybe even just a private investor who agrees with the philosophy of the whole thing.
It's likely that nearly any epiphyte would grow well on a rotting albizia log or stump. The wood becomes spongy fairly quickly as it rots. We have a vireya rhododendron and an orchid growing on a large albizia stump from a tree we took down, both looking very healthy after a number of years with little attention.