Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live Snake Found in Container at Keaau Store
Every keeps stating that snakes would have no natural predators in Hawaii. However, Hawaii has both hawks and owls. On the mainland snakes can be a staple diet of both birds of prey. Just because they do not currently have them to add to their diet doesn't mean that they wouldn't eat them if they somehow were introduced to the islands.
Do some research on the devastating ecological impact of the brown tree snake on Guam if you question the consequences of importing snakes to Hawaii. Just because hawks and owls in other places eat snakes doesn't mean the Hawaiian one would learn to eat them before they wipe out some more of our endemic species. Canadian Geese on the mainland fear predators and flee them, but even after generations of exposure to dogs and other potential predators, their close cousins the Nene still have no fear of dogs or people.
Hate to comment on such an old news article, but...
Natural predator & may predate are 2 widely differing things... It is true that the Hawaiian hawk & owl have become predators to introduced species, including rats, lizards & some other introduced insects & animals... but snakes are more of a learned or starvation food preference in most ecosystems, as they are much tougher & much more likely to strike back from many differing positions....
Another big problem is the continued devastation on nesting birds that snakes would add. Most native Hawaiian birds have yet t adapt to nest predation from cats & rats & very few have adapted natural behavior to evade mosquito bites... adding a snake species could have a catastrophic effect, like Guam experienced with the introduction of the brown tree snake (a glimmer of good news there, after causing many bird species extinctions, the population of brown tree snake there has finally started to decline & the current population is showing high stressor responses, most likely from over-population induced famine...):
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/the-snake-...ams-birds/
I do not need to do any research on the devastation that snakes can cause. Nor did I ever questioned the ecological impact that they could have. Instead of telling me to do some research maybe you should take the time to actually read what I wrote. Comprehension goes a long way.

You wrote "Just because hawks and owls in other places eat snakes doesn't mean the Hawaiian one would learn to eat them before they wipe out some more of our endemic species". Flip that around and it doesn't mean they they wouldn't learn to eat them before they wipe out some more of our endemic species.

Just as Cary wrote "Natural predator & may predate are 2 widely differing things" I also wrote "...doesn't mean that they wouldn't eat them if they somehow were introduced to the islands."

I never said they would eat them, I said it doesn't mean that they won't eat them. There are many places where snakes are actually the stable food for birds of prey and not just a starvation food. Animal instincts typically kick in with any predatory species. It's called nature.

I forgot to originally mention the mongoose as well. They too are a snake predator by nature.

I wasn't questioning anything I was simply making an observation that we do have predatory creatures here that could potentially eat snakes.

Edited post to add Mongoose.

HawaiiBound: you will note I did not quote you in my post, which I always do when directing a post to someone specific, but if you think the shoe fits, wear it with pride. Maybe you need to check your reading comprehension before flying off the handle.

"You wrote "Just because hawks and owls in other places eat snakes doesn't mean the Hawaiian one would learn to eat them before they wipe out some more of our endemic species". Flip that around and it doesn't mean they they wouldn't learn to eat them before they wipe out some more of our endemic species."

Is that really a gamble Hawaii should take? Everyday we see the negative consequences of introduced species here. Hawaii has the most non-native invasive species on the planet AND the most endangered species. There is a connection.
Shockwave rider, my apologies if that was not directed towards me. I have no issue admitting when I am wrong.

Please note, I did not state that is a gamble that Hawaii should take. I believe we should do everything within our power to keep snakes from getting into the ecosystem. I was simply stating that there are predatory species here that could potentially go after snakes if they ever get a foot hold here. That is all I was trying to say.
snakes are bad for Hawaii and have no business being here, for any reason. End of subject. Next.
Sort of off topic but, I got to thinking how owls hunt; with infrared and then I wondered how they see the body heat of a cold blooded animal like a snake, but it's true some owls hunt snakes.
We do have a snake on this island though that has been here for a long time. The blind snake. Interestingly enough this owl has a symbiotic relationship with the same kind (or very close to the same kind) of blind snake we have on the island. https://redditblog.com/2015/11/28/some-o...rminators/
from a native critter's viewpoint, people are bad for Hawaii and have no business being here, for any reason.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
According to http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasiv...ree-snake/ they have found 8 brown tree snakes in Hawaii (though none recently).

I remember wondering why there were so many feral peafowl in Eastern Oregon and it was explained to me that they were brought in to control the rattlesnake population. I don't know if it helped, but snakes are listed as one of the creatures they kill and eat. Since they are such a pest on parts of Oahu... who knows if they have had something to do with avoiding a brown tree snake problem here?