Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP in Trouble Again
Carol, from what I understand is that what a number of board members are trying to do is get permits so they CAN "import" material. The permits they want are for transporting waste from the entire park and being able dump it behind the maintenance building for storage. But since there wouldn't be a limit of the amount they can collect & store can you imagine the massive junk pile/s? Just look at what an eyesore it is now without permits.

It will be interesting to see how they try to spin it at the meeting. Hope plenty of people come to hear! [Smile]
Carol, you sort of make my point. If people have been dumping pig carcasses alongside the greenwaste, then HPPOA has created an environment attractive to dumping items far less benign than stumps and branches. The Ag zoning is an interesting element, but it may not be compost when it's just piled up in huge heaps and left to rot or whatever. I'm pretty sure the DOH is aware it's zoned Ag.

Another part of all this that I find sort of crazy is the fact that they were hauling the greenwaste to that location from paving sites several miles away. (So in a sense, it was imported, just not from outside the subdivision.) If they were going to haul it that far, wouldn't it have been smarter to haul it to a real dump instead of creating our own?
HPP is roughly 4 miles by 4 miles so the waste (raw materials) that were being hauled within the subdivision were definitely a shorter trip that driving all the way to Hilo, particularly with all the highway constructions and accidents going on. Not sure if an organization like HPPOA could even dump green waste at Keaau or Pahoa transfer stations but somehow doubt they would let big trucks fill their dumpsters.

As far as the pig carcasses are concerned: does anyone know how someone can legally dispose of a pig carcass? I see an awful lot of "pig hunta" bumper and window stickers but from reading the long list of things they don't allow to be dumped at the transfer stations I am not sure if there is any legal and cheap way to dump a body here. Maybe the board of health should start looking into all the pig carcasses being dumped all over the island if they don't have anything better to do with their time. Pig carcasses attract all sorts of vermin and that sounds like a bigger issue that a pile of tree limbs.
steve1 = mainland

edit to add ... neeext
I drive by that site often and most of the time I smell rotting animal carcasses. the neighbors must really love it!
same same
Ahhh, our neighborhood Oscar the Grouch rears his grumpy head yet again. Poor Pog...
I have seen a copy of the letter that the Health Department sent HPP. It clearly states the violations of law (Hawaii Revised Statutes, 342H-30) and health regulations (Hawaii Administrative Rule, Title 11, Chapter 58.1, Section 61) which prohibit the accumulation of any imported solid waste, including greenwaste at an unpermitted location. The letter also states that the activity in question was the "consolidation prior to weekly disposal" of greenwaste. This last bit provokes the question of how it was to be removed and by whom. From looking at the dump myself, my strictly amateur opinion is that HPP does not have the capacity to do it in that time frame. So what genius was it who thought we could save money by hauling the waste to the maintenance yard and then haul it somewhere else? Or is the "weekly removal" just a smokescreen for planning to simply leave it there? Lots of explaining to do here.

The key element in this is apparently the fact that the waste was concentrated in a central location without a permit. If it had been left in place at the original location or removed to an approved waste facility, no problem. The definition of "imported" would seem to be any waste brought from a separate location to the location being cited. The fact that it was all from somewhere in HPP would not appear to be of any consequence.

The solution to this might be as simple as agreeing to suspend any further accumulation and apply for permits that would allow for the temporary consolidation followed by removal. The bigger question, however, is why such a convoluted process was contracted in the first place without thinking it through.
... prohibit the accumulation of any imported solid waste, including greenwaste at an unpermitted location.

In other words, cutting waiwi and making a pile is OK (not imported), but ordering a load of mulch (from the County transfer station, no less) is illegal?
You're splitting hairs, Kalakoa. Mulch from the county is a processed product, not raw solid waste. It just happens to come from the transfer station complex.