Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternate makai access road?
The plans fronted for going thru HPP were basically squeal like a pig for them.and none of the maps presented to the public show helco's proposed transmission line from PGV to hilo.
There are ways to make the route thru HPP less disruptive.
But shipman is the 800lbs gorilla in the room nothing will happen unless they agree to it.They have better lawyers than the county and massive political clout.
This is easy. Eminent domain to take over Railroad and Beach road from Puna all the way to Hilo.

Start 4-wheel drive and monster truck competitions on the weekends, Puna to Hilo rally on each road, charge admission. Voila! Free roads, maybe even turn a profit.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
The "required minimum" road engineering standards are expensive overkill for an "emergency" route (as well as most "private subdivision" roads). A lesser standard (example: 10ft graded w/5ft mowed shoulders) would provide a nice bike trail that would also take cars in an emergency (gated at road intersections, with breakaway locks).

Spending $1.5M building something would be a better investment than yet another study. Unless maybe that study is printed on some rocks that could be used to make a road.

Not that the truly NIMBY would tolerate a walking/biking trail behind their house -- noise and crime and all that.
The gentleman in charge of Shipman today is a man of honor and integrity. Mr. Walter has the community's best interest at heart, and should not be lumped in with blanket statements regarding the Shipman estate.

JMO.
I live in HPP and would love to see a Railroad route to Hilo.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Mr. Walter may be honorable, but he is also short sighted. What if he took a more proactive position and became the hero instead of the villain?

Develop a private toll road from HPP to Hilo that would also act as an emergency escape route.

He has stated in the past that it wouldn't work because it would make his Agricultural leases vulnerable to theft/vandalism. It would be easy with modern technology to control and monitor access to minimize this problem. Install time stamped cameras at each end and maybe close it altogether after hours.

He could include retail/gas/entertainment areas to suppliant the toll income.

There are 10,000 potential customers, with more coming, that would buy toll passes to expedite their commute and make Puna safer.
Given that the State has committed $150 million to handle transport requirements for Hilo to Pahoa, you have to ask another question. If Puna was given $200 million to spend on infrastructure - for one or many projects - where would you spend it to gain the greatest benefit for the most residents in Puna. In essence, this is the question - not simply do you want one particular project ignoring the reality that your choice impacts all other choices.
I so wish they would build the railroad route as a lite rail route from HBeaches or beyond to Hilo. Perhaps an escape route for cars alongside but only for cars in an emergency Great for tourism, locals to and from work and shopping. But that's a dream that will likley never take place, it makes too much sense.
snorkle -
So do you propose a one way, one lane toll road into Hilo in the morning, and reverse the lane in the afternoon so it's one way to Puna? I'd put a cop on the shoulder to pull over anyone driving under 50 miles an hour, so the county could generate some funds as well.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
He could include retail/gas/entertainment areas to suppliant the toll income.

I read somewhere (in these forums) that Shipman did once support an alternate route ... when they wanted to develop the shoreline.