Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Want Meat after Nine
Zippy's claims to be open late, and I think there's steak on the menu, have not attemped either or both of these.
Cronies is a dive, and the carpet should have been put out of its misery decades ago, but they have really good steak, especially if you like a rare steak cut thick. They are a bar, so they should be open past 9! I also had a really good steak at Kaleos back in March, overall it was one of the best meals of my life, but it was a special, not a regular menu offering.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Some days I really miss Henri's Sad

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Ruth's Chris Steak House on the Kona side is the best hands down. And the service is top notch.
Guests have liked The Ponds, only open 11-9 Sun-Thurs, however open 11am-midnight Fri & Sat. (I love their local Hilo raised sturgeon on Sturgeon Sundays...but that is not steak!)
Menu:
http://www.pondshilohi.com/Menu.html

Some neighbors have never gotten over the closing of the Keaau Steakhouse (the old one that used to be next to the Hongwanji mission.. I think it has been shuttered for over 2 decades.... but that was supposed to have been the best steak place on island...
Lets see. I've had steaks in a few different places.

I had an appetizer steak at cronies and I enjoyed it.
I had a cheap steak but cooked perfectly at the Black Rock in Pahoa.
Ponds cooks a fine steak.
The Rim in volcano cooks a very nice steak.

Best steaks though are ones I cook myself. So I'm really super picky on my steaks and have pretty much given up getting a tasty perfectly cooked steak on the BI.

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
George's Meat Market, stock up on a few of their bacon wrapped filets, individually frozen and shrink wrapped. Pop on the grill when desired. They are positively wonderful. I always cook them for guests. Couldn't be easier!
I had a steak at kaleos recently and it was really good and my buddy paid the bill since he owed me some money, that made it even better!
Although George's is good, they are frozen (in those fine steak shipped in vacuum packed things) so cannot be grilled on a "pick'm'up & grill whim".

We had steak-avores visiting & doing some work at our house in January...they enjoyed George's, but just as much as the on-sale filet steaks from Safeway, and more betta was a score of locally raised filets from Kulana (not always an option...but the best & freshest by far...) For these guests, the home grilled Kulana fillets were the best, followed by a tie for George's & the sale Safeway fillets (I should mention non-frozen & 1/4 the cost) and KTA local grass feed fillets.

The Rim & Ponds were also up there, but they had far superior views...so...

Those were the only compare points we have, as the steak-avores ended their visit...& we do not normally have that much steak/beef in a year, much less a week...
quote:
Originally posted by David M

Some days I really miss Henri's Sad

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

I was just thinking that reading this thread. They had great steaks but if you wanted chicken you had to call ahead. [Big Grin]