Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slinging Mud
quote:
Originally posted by Clayton
When looking back at most of the negative post they have been about personality conflicts.

Very differing views of political topics can be the start of personality conflicts.

This whole anti-science movement in Puna is based on Teapublican idealogy, including the dismantling of the educational system. The problem is there are several local political personalities that claim to be Democrat but sound like Teapublicans. Examples are Margaret Wille and Brenda Ford. Hopefully, that era is coming to a close.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Wow, that's out there. There is so much wrong with that and just strange. Maybe I'll be bored enough later.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
It's a sad commentary on our state of affairs, but my main criteria when evaluating local candidates these days is "Would I be embarrassed to have this candidate as my representative?"
P.T., are you really calling Wille and Ford Teapublicans? Seriously?? Wow.
This absurdity goes hand in hand with using the 'anti'science' label for those who respect nature and public safety. Congrats, you keep outdoing yourself!
quote:
Originally posted by kjlpahoa

I would like to add my 2 cents worth with respect to the importance of issues vs: character. A candidate can take positions on issues by just stating what people want to hear and then when the time comes, change their position. But character is what really counts in that you can't change your character that easy. A candidates character is the indicator of what kind of job they will do as a Council person. A candidate of good character will do a good job no matter what the agenda is. While a candidate's position statements means nothing when it comes time to perform. They can easily change their position.

I agree. Character and their past record on issues. Platform is meaningless unless it reflects their true character and intent, so figure out their character.
quote:

Interesting responses, thank you. I'd like the prior posters two questions.

What is more important to you when you consider which candidate you will vote for, issues or character?

What do you think about the old adage about what Peter said about Paul, slightly paraphrased: When you talk stink about someone else, it tells us a lot more about you than the person you are talking about?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Clayton

Clayton

I think there is a difference between talking stink and analyzing a candidate's potential, and you don't seem to be clear on the concept, honestly.
quote:

After looking at your post I realized I asked the wrong question. It should have been, What is important to you when choosing a candidate, their stand on issues or their personality?

When looking back at most of the negative post they have been about personality conflicts.
What is "personality conflict" to you? What I have seen is critique of ethics and ways of treating other people. I call those substantive critiques, not personality conflict.
Interesting to see the worst of the mud-slingers defending the act of mudslinging! Thank you Clayton for bringing the issue up.
quote:

Kjlpahoa, you have a very good point. However I have found from the past 50 decades of political involvement (I was raised in home with coffee hours for candidates) and have found that you can get a petty good idea of who a candidate is by the way they discuss the issues.
Clayton

I wanna know what they put in that coffee. Fifty decades? Wow! I'm having what he's having!
@ Sativa It seems that I have difficulty editing something at the time I am writing it. I should have waited before I posted. That was kind of funny

As far as the adage goes, thanks for the history lesson, I'm impressed, but the meaning of the adage still stands. If someone talks “stink” about someone, it says more about the person talking than the person they are talking about. That's just plain human nature.

@ Mendo I noticed that too.

Clayton

Clayton
Clayton