Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yea another transplant
E komo mai, Aloha nui loa [Smile]

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Consider a vacation rental instead of hotel, if you haven't already. It will be more like regular life as a transition.

You are NOT ready to buy here. Even signing a lease would be ill advised. You have a million things to learn about Hawai'i first. It wouldn't be bad to buy if you knew you could sell easily, but properties here can take a long time to sell. Don't sink your money into something you can't liquidate, because the week after you close, you might just find your perfect house and be unable to buy it. Stay unencumbered and when the right property is there be in a position to go for it.

Meanwhile, explore away.
Make eye contact and smile. Locals don't like mainland snobbiness. Let people cut in front of you when on the road. Don't cut people off. Don't be surprised when people that you don't know waive at you. Waive back. This is a tight community. We have all been through a lot. Don't be in a hurry. If you see something you want in a store, buy it. Chances are it won't be there tomorrow.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Kimo,

"If you see something you want in a store, buy it. Chances are it won't be there tomorrow."

Rich irony here! Safeway has run out of all the Brit foods I like: HP sauce, Heinz baked beans and Branston pickle. If only I'd bought the whole lot when they were still available! Oh well, I bet those that bought the last stocks aren't Punatics...
That letting people pull out thing has caught me a little off guard. I appreciate the thought but am reluctant to pull out on the motorcycle when someone stops traffic to politely let me pull out. This is not safe procedure on a motercycle. To many variables like some one impatiently pulls around the nice person letting you out, some one rear ends the nice person letting you out. Just not wise,so if you are being nice and trying you let a cyclist pull out and he refuses don't think he's a snob it's probably me being a safe rider. I don't wave or smile I just shake my head no so as not to confuse you. These roads can be slick and exposing yourself to any added danger is lunacy. Let the cyclist decide for himself when it's safe for him to pull out. I prefer to wait until I see a safe distance in both directions. WATCH FOR MOTERCYCLES.
OK then instead of letting me pull out in front of you. Maybe one of you gracious punawebers could instruct this extremely non computer savvy puna newbie how to edit my pre existing post since auto correct decided I meant software IF instead of so if, in that last post. I looked around a little for the function to no avail. I a mo betta spella wit da Otto crect. It just decides to add some odd words occasionally. Holy Cow I figured it out my self. Maybe there is hope in this technological world for a S.W. P.A. farm boy hick. Thanks for that F.A.Q section Rob.
When you are logged on, there are symbols on the top line of your post starts with "Posted". On your posts, there will be a paper & pencil type icon, click on that & you will be in the edit mode of the post. This will only work when you are logged on.
Yeah, I mean pull out into the same lane. I sometimes refuse to pull out across lanes when someone tries to waive me through. I give the no no waive and gesture for them to proceed.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Aloha, IslandTrio!

We relocated here from downtown Denver almost two years ago and I enthusiastically agree with everyone who says to rent first. Life here is fantastic and wonderful and lovely and it is our forever home, but take time to get your sea legs before settling down - it was the smartest thing we did. By waiting we found out exactly where on the island we were meant to be (Pahoa) and found the perfect house for our needs (tiny house living!).

I often work from the Starbucks on Kilauea in Hilo (free Google-brand wi-fi, hurrah!), so if you would like to meet up some time for coffee and to "talk story", please feel free to contact me.

Welcome to the Big Island!
-Allison

I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them.
- Isaac Asimov
Agree with the rent first idea