Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propane Rip Off
I wonder if they are justifying the extra as a "Delivery Charge"? Is there a delivery charge separate from the $/gallon? I read on another thread about a manifold type device that connects multiple bottles together and has an indicator to let you know when one is empty. Might be cheaper to go that route and fill smaller bottles than pay more for 1 big fill...
Is Pahoa propane still $3.95? I know it was before the storm. $6.85 is insane.
Be careful about getting too propane dependent. It can run out too. There was a shortage across the islands not too long ago, 2011.
http://blog.propane.pro/blog/hawaiian-pr...i-torches/#

Extremely cold winters on the mainland can cause propane shortages and soaring prices too.
Looks like a niche for a new business.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
reading just the OPs topic, My answer is "Thats Normal" you are paying that much because its delivered...

the difference between 'you fill' (ie 4 gal tanks driven to a fill station) and 'they deliver' (ie 250 gal leased tanks filled by them, and you billed) has always been a couple dollars or more...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
best to just get a couple of the largest tanks you can still move when full (ie roll into place), and go to any of the propane stations that fill them for the best deal... the one near Makuu (Hawaiian homelands) is best IMO because they are the dudes that brought ALL the prices down... before they (Makuu) went into business the other fillers were obviously gouging (ie Keaau, or the one next to Malama Mkt) because of how much they dropped prices to try for match the Makuu/Hawaiian homelands place after they opened with rock bottom pricing

Aloha Bananahead! Thank you for the voice of reason. Wink
What we did at my daughter's place is (after having a plumber plumb the house for propane), is I picked up 2 smaller tanks new from Hilo Propane. I got steel tanks. The aluminum will outlast the steel tanks, but I got the 2 steel tanks, a regulator for two tanks, and the pigtails (smaller copper lines that go to each individual tank), all for less than one aluminum tank. You are supposed to secure the tanks with small chains. I got some small eye hooks, chain, and J hooks from Home Depot, and a couple paving concrete blocks to set them on and level them. Screwed the eye and J hooks into the house siding and put the chains on. Then built a minimal frame of 2x4's and used that plastic lattice stuff as walls, so that the tanks aren't obvious. The regulator has a switching valve, so when the first tank runs empty, it automatically switches to the full tank. The regulator tells you the first tank is empty, so you just shut off the valve on the empty tank, pull the line, unhook the chain, and I'll take it to the place in Pahoa. Also turn the tank selector to the full tank already in use. Reinstall the full tank, reopen that tanks valve, and wait till the other tank runs empty and do it again. The place in Pahoa has tanks on display near the highway, sop you can see the different sizes. I got the second from the smallest size. Get whatever size you know you'll be able to handle full. She runs a converted gas dryer and a stove/range. She recently moved in, and I have just done the initial tank fill so far.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
And don't forget the $8.75 per month just for the privilege

Some of my neighbors are fed up and already switched to:
Alii Gas Inc
(808) 329-5150
Honokohau Industrial Park, Kailua Kona, HI
They change out the tank and I think the regulator.
Don't know how far they come on the Hilo side, but might be worth a call. Unfortunately, I just got filled up when I got the word but will check them out before refill.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
We buy all our propane from Hilo Propane.
$5.10 a gallon for pure propane.
It is not Ag propane.Pure propane.Hilo Propane has a printed list of the different types of propane sold on island.
We have switched to aluminum tanks as they do not rust and are lighter and last much longer.
We only have the 5 gallon bottles for the paloma ,and the stove and have 6 month supply.
For the fridge and stand alone propane freezer we have the 10 gallon tanks and each tank lasts a month.
It is cheaper for us to fill our own tanks than to have delivery done on a monthly basis.
Walmart and HD do swap out old 5 gallon tanks for new ones,but only the 5 gallon bottles.The problem though is they do not make the tanks completely full.This saves money as we get brand new 5 gallon tanks without spending about 40$ on a new tank and then the filling charge.We also double coat with new paint so the rust does not start as the steel tanks do rust quite rapidly here on east Hawaii island.
Hilo Propane has all the items one needs for anything propane and do have a commercial rate for businesses of 10% off a gallon.
You may want to do like the many do,and unhook the large tank and go with individual tanks.
Driving all the way to Pahoa to save a dollar a gallon,at least for us,makes no sense at all.
Eventually we will have a years supply of propane in various sized bottles.A few years ago,there was a severe shortage of propane state wide,so by having 4 to 6 months or longer of full propane bottles makes good sense for those who live off grid or have propane appliances.
Choices choices.
Hope this is helpful.
Life is a blessing