Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All this wood
@Terracore - any documentation on the seed survivability of albezia's? Some folks interested in learning more but I need to give them concrete evidence, not just someone online said....
I got a load of mulch and am worried about albezia seeds too. You can sterilize the seeds by covering the mulch with plastic and letting the sun heat it, but it takes 6 to 8 weeks, and with a big pile of mulch, the center may not get hot enough. So now what ?!?!
If it is the right carbon to nitrogen mix your compost pile will get VERY hot, and will definitely kill any seeds that want to sprout, especially if you flip the pile a few times over a couple of weeks. You can also introduce chickens to the mix to scratch it all up and eat anything that tries to sprout.

Arthur Wierzchos
“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
For anybody who is in need of the service - myself and a few other guys are ready to start coming down to Puna with a large chipper, a truck with hydraulic lift, and lots of chainsaws. We can help clear downed trees, get them chipped up, and haul away any unwanted chip/green waste. We can also deliver supplies if needed. Here is our craigslist ad:http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/fgs/4616407068.html
“What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
We are also willing to hire the right person(s) looking for work in the area. If interested, or if know somebody interested, you can call me directly at 808-960-1037

Arthur
Much of the downed tree waste is heading to a dump spot at Sanford's quarry near the steam vents on 130. I have watched a steady line of large dump trucks go in there to dump for the last week. It seems like an average of about one every 5 minutes all day every day.
Wasn't there a plan a while back to harvest albizia, dry the wood with heat from the geothermal plant and ship it to japan for wood pellets?
As I understand it, the albizia, when dried, makes for a high quality wood pellet.
The plan involved people being paid spot cash for the wood and something about the location (the old geothermal plant) being designated a foreign trade zone. Local people make money, geothermal plant gets paid, state gets paid, county gets paid...
Would this not be a fantastic way to rid ourselves of this tree?
Well, there certainly is a lot of Albizia down, even in state forest land. If the mayor can get the gov to approve the trade zone and exports start, it would certainly be a boost to the economy for the counties cut of the sales, plus jobs for the harvesting and process for shipping. Could even use it as funding for the project once the initial startup has been achieved, with extra for future for storm relief, local improvements, etc.. It would even pay off the debt of the new park while beautifying our island!

Community begins with Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by spunky

@Terracore - any documentation on the seed survivability of albezia's? Some folks interested in learning more but I need to give them concrete evidence, not just someone online said....

Sorry... read it online somewhere.
Spunky, here are some good starting points, may also check if there is info on Beal's seed viability...

http://www.invasive.org/proceedings/pdfs/Hughes.pdf
http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/hu...hes001.pdf