Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State paying to test water for property owners?
Mean drunk?

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Thanks to Carol and Opihikao for clearly and kindly explaining this issue. I have no doubt in the oceans ability to handle whatever we throw at it.
"I have no doubt in the oceans ability to handle whatever we throw at it"
in which case you really are a fool!!

#10048;
#10048;
From little old Kapoho of course! (didn't think I had to add that qualifier but then here comes #10048 to prove me wrong).
My pond was one of the ones tested and the UH & Dept of Health people were using it as the "best" benchmark. We were lucky that we had little debris go into it - like other ponds that got both lots of organic (fronds, leaves and coconuts) and non-organic (wood, plastics, pesticides, paint, etc). We just happened to be in the right spot - the debris backed up against bamboo on the back side of our yard and created a debris dam and only let water through. We had cut all our trees just two weeks before so there wasnt as much to drop.

Because I have a case of Hispanic Panic as my family calls it, we picked up everything ground level ahead of time so there was little to go into pond.

So anyway, the testing is good because all our ponds are so interconnected and what is in one ends up in all and the open ocean.

We noticed a greenish tint to ours a few days ago even though it had been clear. The anerobic effect is beginning with people who still have debris in their ponds and those ponds have a low oxygen level. We also contacted a professor friend who has worked with the Kapoho ponds through UH and she gave us detailed instructions to keep our pond healthy despite what the others are doing/not doing. Basically it is pretty simple - get any debris out of the pond. aerate the ponds, add correct water plants, and then continue to take organic debris out. Where we might let fronds/coconuts sit in the pond for a day or two before, now as soon as we see them fall we pull them out.
Hi Cat,
Have the koi you rehomed from me survived? I realize the answer to this may be sad news, but I do hope they have pulled through. You are a good pond caretaker.
Aloha Cat,
I hope your place wasn't too damaged, the video I've seen is just heartbreaking. I wonder how the little single wall house we rented survived, it was on Ho'olai 3 houses North of the intersection with Kapoho Kai Dr.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Hi Cat,
Have the koi you rehomed from me survived? I realize the answer to this may be sad news, but I do hope they have pulled through. You are a good pond caretaker.

Unfortunately none of the koi survived in any ones ponds. The salinity went from what was typically 7/1000 to almost open ocean salinity which is usually 35/1000. It happened so quickly that no ones koi survived. This was the one thing we did not think to plan for. If we had, we could have relocated them to our lot we live on, and put them in a tank for the duration. But the typically king tides havent affected them usually so we did not think.... I am so sad to
say.

But on the other hand, most of the talapia survived.
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Aloha Cat,
I hope your place wasn't too damaged, the video I've seen is just heartbreaking. I wonder how the little single wall house we rented survived, it was on Ho'olai 3 houses North of the intersection with Kapoho Kai Dr.

Carol

That house survived just fine - all the ones on our st did as the devastating part was the storm surge but it came to about 10-12 ft and went inland about 200 ft further than it usually does.

To give it perspective, there is a new house being built in front. Their front door (17' to floor level) and our door on our first story are about the same level.

PS I didnt know that was the house you lived in ! We would have lived almost behind you back in the day in the house we rented for 5 yrs.
pahoated, Define mainland perception. Does that mean people should not ask why state tax dollars and resources are being used on private property?