Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possibly the 1st ferry proposal to the county...
On that other thread it said something about $125 per ticket (different boat), but I didn't want to mention this, since I don't know exactly for this particular boat, but that is OUTRAGEOUS. A ferry would have to be heavily subsidized I am guessing - so commuters could use it. Maybe people could swing 50 dollars per week- 200 a month, but that's only $5 each way- for the boat operator.
lol,pipedream IMO

I wanna see a 49 person catamaran dock at little old Pohoiki with the sideways entry through a surf break with kids swimming and other boats needing to use the dock too. You have no where to wait for passengers to load .. you would need a larger dock..

then consider the time taken for trip, rides to and from stops, major seasickness/weather at times, and THE PRICE! and IMO you will weed out all except tourists from Hilo wanting to see lava... thus its original intended use...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
To bananahead - thanks for injecting some reality into this idea of a ferry as a possible commuter alternative.

This trip is over open ocean with winter starting, not the protected waters where most ferry systems operate. Even the Superferry was not able to keep to its timetable near as often as it had planned. No safe place to load/unload passengers on this side, and where would people get off at the end of the ride ? The Hilo piers already have a full schedule - would a fuel barge, or a cruise ship, have to wait outside the breakwall because the commuter ferry was running late ? And I would bet dollars to donuts that there would be quite a few seasick passengers on a rough trip - imagine going to work after sitting next to someone who had been puking breakfast for the last hour. Ughh.
As I mentioned in the out-of-the-box thread, an air shuttle would be cheaper and would get you there in minutes, and federal dollars would build the expensive part of the infrastructure plus subsidize the air service using existing FAA programs.

The question is, does the state want to start considering this 6 months from now? Or have a functioning landing strip at an under construction airport 6 months from now?
I know in Alaska they put in some pretty basic airstrips that are lifelines for a lot of people. It doesn't seem like the airstrip is the issue, but the planes and pilots might be hard to find here.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb

Helicopters?
across the flow
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

Helicopters?
across the flow

We've got plenty of those around.

I think the ferry could work for pooling small cargo orders better than passengers. Pallets of rice don't get seasick.

Carol

Polish Proverb
Carol

Polish Proverb
Need a supply barge with wheels to run from Hilo to the boat ramp, then winched up,and hooked to a trailer hitch for large materials such as roofing panels and plywood. Delivery will be outrageous in price. Fuel would be in 5 gallon max containers via ferry system to avoid fire/explosion danger along with small propane jugs. All easy to transfer off boat, and size shows captain is not vendor, just transporter.

Community begins with Aloha
shane turpin has posted the following on lavaocean transport fb page:

'We've acquired 427 signatures and 100 surveys which is great but not sure this is proving the demand for this type of service? To be able to make it affordable we have to present there is a definite need."

you will need to join his group to receive updates. he is using
www.change.org to gather signatures. you will also need to register on this site.

https://www.change.org/p/county-of-hawai...boat-ferry

i realize there are many opinions about ferry options to hilo. the more signatures acquired could result in funding an affordable alternative route with complimentary scopolamine patches.
Shay
I think any proposal to use pohiki as a water taxi dock should come without a specific person attached.
For cargo the area just north of there would work for small to medium size landing craft depending on the weather. In the Caribbean and Alaska that's how a lot of stuff gets to out of the way places and smaller islands