Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wed's. Lunar Eclipse
"It's tonight(Tuesday night)... not Wednesday night."

Depends on how you define nights! The actual full eclipse is during the night on Wednesday morning. Now you know why astronomers here always like to use UT as the date doesn't change in the middle of the night! That just becomes far too confusing.

Anyway, the eclipse is tonight, Tues/Weds night. I don't think I'll have the energy to stay up and watch it unfortunately...
Just went outside and see a half-moon with the dark side already showing signs of turning red. This might be quite spectacular. I just don't know if I can stay awake for the full eclipse.

There are high clouds which aren't helping, but the timing of this lunar eclipse means the moon is very high in the sky, so if the high clouds do continue to be a problem they are less likely to block the view of the moon (we're looking through much less atmosphere). The other thing it brought to mind is why I became an astronomer. A dark(ish) sky with no street lights and a need to understand what's happening in the sky. I only ever saw that once before moving here, in the mountains of Wales. Right now the sun is virtually below our feet, albeit 90-odd million miles away, but these events always make me think of our planet and where it fits in with everything else that's around us.

If anyone is still awake, go out and have a look.
Images from sunset and eclipse from our yard in Keaau town
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/axaokakv7oi01...aplfa?dl=0

ADD: The blood moon image is the first tripod time lapse I have taken, it was not so easy to line up the Blood Moon in the view finder in the dark with a tripod! I truly do have a greater respect for the guys who take those night sky images!

now to bed!
Thanks for the photos Carrie! My heart was willing but my body was a no go beyond 9 or 10. I did get up about 1:15a.m.and went outside to see some of the eclipse. Actually felt a chill, something foreign and different, as it has been a long time since the temps have allowed for that! Then the all to familiar buzzing of mosquitos so that ended my lunar adventure. Mahalo for having the patience and getting those shots that most of us snoozed through!
Sorry. I know it's spelled Carey.