Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toad
A friend of mine lost a dog to one of the toads.
Sigh. Despite the joking going on in the topic, they are a serious menace to dogs. That is so sad. Hoping this kitten stays away from the toads and focuses on chameleons for chasing.

Back to the original question, I have not seen the toads show aggression. The problem is the pets want to hunt the poisonous toads. If the pet figures out the toads are bad news, all is well. My cats will sit with 20 toads around them and won't make a move, even though they love to chase things. Of course a kitten does not know better and has a low body weight that could be susceptible to the poison, so I would keep it away.

I cannot feed my lets outside, period. Mongoose by day, toads by night, and feral cats by night and day. In fact, all these pests try to sneak in and get the food fairly relentlessly.

Kathy
Thanks for the info. AND the jokes (never too much humor in life!). If we decide to kill the toad, what's the best way - for him/her & us?
Still trippin balls....
Sounds like a good beginning for a Pulitzer Prize winning literature piece. Has everything... courage in the face of evil, valor, righteous cause... do it.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
If you have a low spot on your property, place a plastic 5 gal bucket with a 1/2 inch of water in it there, and a way for the toad to hop into the bucket. They like water.

Once you find toady inside, put a lid on the bucket. You can now utilize your Toad Relocation System ™ to transport him/her to a place far, far away. You can also use other more lethal techniques while confined in Plastic Guantanamo, but I'll leave those suggestions to others.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Check out the electronic pet doors on Amazon. For example they have an magnetic release collar for you pet that will open the door, nothing else around 60 bucks or so and go up from there. Once they know it works to their advantage if they are being chased. Not promoting supplier or their franchisees, just passing what finally kept critters out of the laundry room getting in the dry food.

Community begins with Aloha
Please do not move/transfer one of those toads to another area. You may be unknowingly helping the spread of them
Cane toads were introduced to Hawaii in 1932.
Coqui were introduced in the mid 90's.

I believe they have both achieved their manifest destiny at this point in time.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There are still parts of the island that don't have coqui that could support their preferred lifestyle, for example North Kohala and Honoka'a ... So do not transport!

Cane toads ... Are everywhere they can be. They love ponds. When I lived in the ultra dry Kohala Estates, my neighbor had a teeny tiny water feature -- and the bufo were all over it.

I accidentally found a killing method that is very sure fire and does not involve any blunt force trauma, but I don't like killing things, other than centipedes and roaches and slugs. And sometimes coqui, which is how I discovered that pure Parson's ammonia in a Windex bottle will kill a bufo with one spray. I was hunting coqui and I sprayed this bufo, and the next day I found it Maki in the grass.

It may not be at all pleasant for the toad, so I leave it to anyone's conscience and inner Syd Singer, and do not recommend action.

I found another toad killer that is absolutely ruthless. It is called a 10 year old boy. I had one over visiting and he went out on his own and slaughtered legions of toads ... I had to tell him to stop because it was gruesome.

Point being, what is unpleasant for you might be enjoyable to the budding serial killers, I mean pre-teen boys, that inhabit your neighborhood. Mine worked for free. After I told him to stop the slaughter, he moved to bucket capture. A five gallon paint bucket with a lid works well.

Kathy