Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Infrastructure / Services
I'd love to buy another lot, import a trailer, doze in a driveway, install septic and whamo! Home. (for 30 days or til the county catches me?) No matter what the shipping costs, it's cheaper than building here, even if you Matson in your building materials.
I've been thinking about this a lot lately too, and it seems to me that we should be able to live in a grass hut if we want to. The need for mobility is real here. I'm not talking trailer parks, just trailers on private land. What good reason is there for the Bldg. Dept. to object?
"What good reason is there for the Bldg. Dept. to object?"

Can't wait to hear the responses! (ahem...kalakoa?) Smile
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Do a little research on "Mini Houses" or "Modular construction". You will find a lot of new designs and concepts that aren't necessarily "trailers"; or even on wheels. The mobility doesn't have to be built into the design.

The "Mini House" movement is becoming very popular elsewhere and will no doubt catch on here eventually. While not for everyone, a small starter home that can be added to as a family grows can be had without getting under a $200,000 mortgage.

Imagine a 16X40 foot turnkey "Studio/Bath" configuration with Solar/composting toilet/Genny/ Propane that could be put on pier blocks on your property in a couple of days. All that is necessary is a catchment tank. The State at present requires a septic system (for grey-water)to accompany a composting toilet(Ridiculous?). That's a small obstacle.

Anyway, a young couple could get landed with a modest 640sq ft home for a quarter of what it conventionally costs. The size could be doubled in a few years as the family grows by adding another unit; either attached or separated by an atrium.[8D] My wife and infant son lived contentedly in a smaller cabin when we moved here years ago.

Need more room? Go for it. Modular doesn't have to be small or tacky; just sensibly designed.

Manufactured, or mobile homes are inspected by the State architect, and are registered similar to a car. The Building Department just looks at the hook ups, access and "foundation" approved for the unit. They seem to be the retirees choice on rural land because of the price, and they now look just like a ranch style home. No more grandmas tin shack.
The problem I may see is on the mainland they seem to get about what the average home costs in Puna square foot to square foot, and that doesn't allow for the shipping fees from Oregon(mfgr plant) to Oakland, on a Matson and over the pond.
The tents used at HAAS fall into a different occupancy classification as it being a school, and non fire retardant tents, or for that matter lacking fire sprinklers is what probably nixed that idea.

Community begins with Aloha
the link below is from tinyhouse newsletter. i did some searching after reading the article. there are a few companies that sell plans for yurt cabins and the cost is low as all materials are purchased locally. covered walkways can be the connecting 'halls'.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/180-sq-ft-yurt-cabin/
Shay
What good reason is there for the Bldg. Dept. to object?

There's no "good" reason.

Building gets involved whenever a structure of a certain size or use becomes "permanent", including any vehicle which remains stationary for more than 24 hours.

Ag zoning allows a "storage shed" up to 600sf, but it's only a "shed" if it lacks plumbing/electrical and nobody sleeps in it.

Of course any/all plumbing/electrical is only by permit with licensed professional.

someone from the County did a random inspection

Probably not really "random".

It's really long past time County adopted some realistic policies. Rules that make perfect sense on a 7500sf lot in Hilo are overkill for unpaved "private" acreage and completely ridiculous downslope of active lava. "One size fits all ... doesn't."
i saw one clever fellow flip tires horizontally, pour concrete in the centre, add the post and build his home 'on wheels'. seems there was no specification that required the wheels to be upright and roll worthy.
Shay
Wow, good idea. No need to build frame for concrete!
I wanted to provide the Big Island with tiny homes on wheels starting last May. They have become the latest fad on the mainland as nobody can keep them in stock. They are very affordable, high quality and mobile. I've met with several BI county people to see if these homes on trailers could work here as an alternative to expensive housing. This was long before any flowing lava. At the time, there was a lot of codes which would make it very difficult. One code (of many) is that tiny homes on trailers are way under the minimum square foot requirement for a dwelling. So right off the bat, you would be in violation if you were living in one. Then of course, you could never get a permitted septic or a HELCO hookup because the unit would never be legal. Anyway, in August when the lava was getting close, I revisited the idea as I felt many would need affordable housing as they relocated. I noticed some new verbiage in the building codes. The words "a building is any structure mounted on wheels such as a trailer" had been added. That suddenly made my project even more difficult. There is also verbiage in regards to the length of time a trailer can be parked... even on private property. I am aware that if the unit is registered with the DMV it has a chance of bypassing county codes, but my financial investment could be at risk if the DMV angle doesn't work in the long run. I also spoke with Hilo DMV and they don't have any problem registering a trailer as long as the brakes/lights are inspected, it passes a safety check and carries annual insurance. But, will the building department leave me alone? Pretty risky. By the way, I own the exclusive rights to build and sell these on the Big Island and they would sell for $28,500 complete. That's a great price for a complete, high quality house... especially if you just lost your biggest investment to Madam Pele. I really feel they could be the answer for so many displaced by lava. Here's what they look like: http://oregoncottagecompany.net/cabins/c...ungalow-2/
perhaps you would have less risk if you developed 'stealth cargo trailer homes". you can find the plans online and great detailed articles on tinyhousenewsletter.com.

i support the tiny house movement and, if i were you i'd keep the risk factor to a minimum. i think it took the hawaii yurt company an entire year to get the county to approve their structures. the refabbed shipping container is another option worth exploring.
good luck!
Shay