Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good grinds?
Itsu's Fishing Supply - best hot dog in hilo.Great bento and fantastic ice shave.
Originally posted by Andrew
14 W Lanikaula St
Ste 104
Hilo, HI 96720

We like to call this "Bento Alley" both for the narrowness of the parking lot and the several shops with lunch bentos (Cousins, Ichiban, H&K, etc) There is also Subway, Canton (chinese) and Sweet Cane Cafe (organic smoothies and meals) around the corner, so good stop when everyone wants something different.
Quick addition to the list:
Just Cruisin Coffee on Kilauea by the courthouse.
http://www.justcruisincoffee.com/index.html

Tasty sandwiches, coffees, smoothies, and best chai on island so far. Can be busy (there is extra parking next door), but reasonable prices and the service has always been excellent.
Kens? lol you have to be kidding. In no way is that good grinds. Cheap grinds yes but not good grinds. Low-quality ingredients mediocre service. I mean seriously- none of the veggies are fresh, all canned. I believe Kens even uses that powdered egg substitute instead of real eggs in some of their dishes. If you're looking to stuff your gullet and soak up some alcohol with grease-laden garbage after a night of heavy drinking then yes, Kens is for you. Miyo's is a nice place that no longer has the wonderful view of Wailoa park but is still good food at a reasonable prices. Island Naturals salad bar is pretty damn good too. Just don't load up on heavy carbs like potatoes or lasagna or you'll pay a fortune.
Low-quality ingredients mediocre service.

Until recently, the only 24-hour option ... sometimes that's enough.
Manono Mini Mart- Great sandwiches!
Lucy's Taqueria Hilo, excellent and huge variety, with salsa bar, and a great margarita made fresh squeezed lime.

Gotta love very local Cafe 100 Hilo, when you want a quick plate lunch local style. How many ways can you do Loco Moco?

Takenoko Sushi Hilo, by Miyo's, best sushi ever but it's hard to get a reservation, so popular, few seats.

Pele's Kitchen in Pahoa, fresh, local, often organic. Nice breakfasts in colorful old town.

Cocktails and pupus at Uncle George's Lounge, Volcano House in HVNP, overlooking the crater, very cool at dusk with night time glow. Restaurant is overpriced, lounge a better way to go.
I second that motion With Lucy's. Great place.
Snorkle,

Which ones do you like ?

5.99 for 1 slice of layed flat cheese, a tiny but of meat in the middle to look good cut in half, some lettuce on two slices of generic bread does not make a great sandwich IMO.

Not to mention the snooty tall Chinese lady who never says thank you as she tosses your ( politely handed to her ) card back on the counter.

Tried so many times as its convenient to run down there but tired of seeing her to this do all of us regular customers.

aloha,
pog
I highly recommend the Puu Oo cafe, along Kilauea's East Rift Zone. I find the CO2 sandwich, along with the pahoehoe spread topped off with a just a pinch of sulfuric acid, and of course a bit of Limu Pele when you can get a reservation at the oceanside terrace, to be awesome. And of course their sulfur dioxide pizza's are to die for. But then I am partial to the local cuisine.