Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P.E. teacher in Keaau
A good part of my growing-up experience was at a medium-sized YMCA from the mid-50's to mid-60's (last century for you young folks). Spent most of my time in the pool and ended up as a lifeguard there for the last couple of years. "Institutional public nudity" was completely the norm there, not only in the locker rooms and shower, but in the pool also with the exception of family nights and occasional co-ed classes. All males in the pool, young and old, were all nude, all the time. In all my years there, admittedly young and naive as I suppose I was, I never experienced or even heard of issues with that policy, much less "incidents" and I did have interaction with management at the Y. Neither did I have any direct experience of kids or their parents having problems getting naked in order to go in the pool. In high school it was always group locker rooms and showers with dedicated gym clothes carried back and forth from home. Times have definitely changed. Seems kind of strange that in rather prudish 50's "institutional nudity" was not a problem but in this new age kids (perhaps more their parents?) seem to be very nervous about their bodies and non-personal, "institutional" nudity around others.
To each their own.things are much different today then back even 20 years ago. Today kids worry cause kids have smart phones with cameras. Kids can be mean but now a days it us much different.

The "back in my day arguement " is no longer valid.
Back in the 50's and 60's it was also perfectly acceptable to leave ones sons in the care of pedophile priests also.
I don't think any child should be forced into public nudity. Period.

My child is modest his parents not as much. But that is my childs choice and I'll support it. Especially in the this day and age.

well said on all counts, Rattlestaff. excellent added points about the vast proliferation of smart phones with cameras along with ever-present bullying entering the equation.

and i would caution against confusing or mischaracterizing prudishness as being the driving force behind any genuine concern.
Have you considered giving your student a note that exempts them from changing in PE until the school provides adequate lockers and locker room facilities? It might be a good conversation starter.