Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Land Rover
You are using many words here. The point is you said "Sell your repaired Land Rover to a newbie!" You imply taking advantage of a potential buyer who may not be aware of the fact that you cannot have the vehicle serviced on island. Don't try to squirm out from a really rotten attitude you expressed.

Andrew

quote:
goodness, Andrew, lighten up ...

a car repaired under a recall is not a lemon.
My Honda hybrid had a recall, which was fixed, and then it was fine. Recalls are not uncommon. A lemon is that rare car that was made so poorly it can't be fixed.

If John decides to sell his car and buy one with an on-island dealership, as a result of his experiences, that is not unethical.

Plenty of people, not even in Hawai`i, buy specialty cars because they love them, then find them too high maintenance -- selling them to someone who loves the ride, who can either afford the maintenance or is still in the phase the first person was when buying the car. Aloha or not aloha has nothing to do with it.

As with real estate -- you honestly disclose any known defects, and leave it to the buyer to make a decision.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
oh jeez ... it was a joke. That's why I used the term newbie.

As if I would presume to give actual car-selling advice to a consummate businessman like John.

With this a agree. John is a smart guy and I am sure he will figure something out.

On an other note (not to open a can of worms here but) If the ferry was running you could drive it over to Oahu to sell it or have it serviced. ... Oh man - never mind.......

Andrew

quote:
a consummate businessman like John.

My Mother-n-law had a Land Rover until she parked it in the neighbors pool..

John, cmon man take it to Honolulu get it fixed drive straight to the nearest Toyota dealership and trade it in for a Land Cruiser (not the lexus version either).

You deserve a good quality Real Estate selling machine..

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield"
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

[quote]

John, cmon man take it to Honolulu get it fixed drive straight to the nearest Toyota dealership and trade it in for a Land Cruiser (not the lexus version either).

Blessings,
dave
--------------------------------
I was considering getting a Prius and changed my mind as I heard the Toyota dealer isn't affiliated with Toyota directly, as dealers on the mainland are contracted with Toyota like for quality assurance, parts and diagnostic equipments to keep it tuned and repaired.

Repairs would be iffy and I wouldn't want to ship my Prius back to the mainland for maintenance.

Guess I'll stick to a motor cycle.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Ya know, my Subaru dealer told me something similar when I purchased my Outback in California. He said that Subaru of Hawaii wasn't directly affiliated with the US division, but the Asia-Pacific division (or something). He assured me that my warranty would be honored by the HI Subaru dealerships, but wasn't sure if they would honor my pre-paid maintenance plan. Sometimes I feel like Hawaii's the 'ugly stepchild' of the US corporate family Sad

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
Andrew: Don't be so silly! Of course, I am totally in tune with the spirit of Punaweb, whatever the hell that is. I'm like totally down with the Punagroove, my boy.

As for the car, the rule is this: Let the buyer beware. John's Land Rover just needs a part and getting this part is more trouble to John than he would like to deal with. So, he can sell his vehicle to a willing buyer, who can ask as many questions as they would like. Since it is an upscale car, he can market it in an upscale area. John can disclose his reasons for selling, if asked (a part is subject to recall). In fact, he has, in full view of the entire world!

In the meantime, he has performed an important public service by reminding us not to buy cars that cannot easily be serviced on island.

And I have performed an important public service by reminding people of how easy it is to presume a meaning that was never intended.

quote:
So call the parts dept in Honolulu, don't say anything about the recall, and just order the part like any other part.

Do you really believe I would support the Land Rover and its Dealership by ordering the part from there?! Not to mention that they probably charge twice as much as I can get it for from parts companies like Atlantic British Ltd.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Glen: Listen up sonny my lad; If the term spirit of Punaweb confuses you let me rephrase. One of the main features of Punaweb as I see it is a community of people who provide information to help people, especially NEW people coming to the island.

In your former post you did not mention anything about "disclosure" so now you are backpeddling by adding new ideas to mask your original thought which was to foist a vehicle off on some un-knowing buyer.

Yes I am glad too that John related this info because I have always thought it would be cool to own a Land Rover. But not now.

I am constantly impressed by peoples ability to argue about nothing.

I could hope that Puna Style or The Spirit of Punaweb might mean looking and focusing more on those things we agree on rather than the opposite.

Once again. My favorite bumber sticker is:

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

It's a lovely morning. I will now go back and work on cleaning my roof thank you very much.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator