Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on how to deal with mold & mildew
thanks to all for your imput. Links,ideas etc,etc. I will consider each and every idea put forth on this thread. But I gotta tell you, I'm leaning in the direction of KathyH, and her feelings on the subject. I'm not sure I wanna take the risk involved with those closet Rods. Lets not forget, I got two boys at home. The youngest makes two in Jan.,and he's a real "Rascal" too. One that likes to experiment with things. I already have this terrible image running through my head.

I too have no doors to my walk-in closet also. So I guess ventilation is the word for the day!

Handle every situation like a dog,If you can't eat it or hump it,piss on it and walk away...
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
A article from the Star talks about mold and controling it but also includes tips for keeping books, paintings and pictures (photos)......

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/20/featu...ory07.html

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

Although this isnt on the Bldg forum, a big thought in building is to try to place your closets against a wall that stays sunny for a good part of the day. It will heat up the "room" i.e closet and make that heat we are always trying to ventilate useful.

An example is Wes the plumber - in his own new house - his MB closet is on that sunny wall and everything in there is staying warm and dry - and he doesnt have sheetorck or windows in yet. One thing - not a good place to store excess candle supply.

Catherine Dumond
Blue Water Project Management
808 217-7578
http://bluewaterpm.125mb.com/index.html
"We help make building your dream home a reality"
You say he doesn't have sheetrock in yet. My house at the moment is all big screened windows and uncovered walls (we're slowly putting in electric wires). My inclination is to not cover the walls with sheetrock. I'm trying to keep the mold/mildew problem down. Any ideas for very light, ventilated type wall coverings?
my wifey just brought to my attention that one of our pillows now has mold on it? Have any of you gotten mold on your pillows before? I'm wondering if this is caused by sweaty heads at night, my youngest spilling juice on pillow, or just the Puna weather? Anybody else experience mold in their bedding before?

Handle every situation like a dog,If you can't eat it or hump it,piss on it and walk away...
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
MG, while neither light nor ventilated, we are using smooth Hardipanel for our interior walls as it inhibits mold. We have also treated all of our wood framing with mold & mildew inhibiting sealer.

Carey, can you give us more info on the Hardipanel and what you used to treat your wood??? I suppose this should go on the Building Forum, but maybe folks who are renovating could also use this info? Thanks!

Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
Carey, not sure if my last post made it to the forum, but did you use all treated lumber in your construction? Can you give more info on the Hardipanel? And when you say you used a sealer on the framing, was that like Kilz?

Katie

We used borate treated lumber & have used a borate dunk bucket or brushed on borate to all lumber cuts (a pain, but this decreases the likelihood that termites will snack on your lumber - termites had eaten through all pine in the house...). Let the wood fully dry.
We then treated with a clear coat preservative with mold & mildew inhibitors (we used Thompsons, but there are others, this was on sale we were shopping)
We are using the Hardipanel just like sheetrock, (OK, this stuff is really tough, it truly hard on your tools, any panel cut-out, or holes are a bear to make,....but after the mess we had to replace, we figure it is worth it...) Tape with fiberglass tape & mud....the finsihing part is just like sheetrock, just the install is harder on the tools & knockouts aren't really knock outs, they are cut &/or grind outs....but we are much more attentive not to make a wrong cut out with all of the work that is involved!
Oh, you can get the smooth at HPM, Honsador, HD, Lowes (& I think Trojan, but that is the only place we haven't yet...)
You may need to order, but it usually is in in a week or two...
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/consumer_south.pdf

Edited by - carey on 11/16/2007 22:11:07
You are on 3rd and it'swetter from the ocean mist so your car, your antena, anything any medium, wood metal or plastic the sun and rain wears out everything. I put a new coat of paint on my truck every year, Penatrol/used trans fluid/diesel soak those ohia logs for a few months, then polyseal em,
I should make the first Real log cabin in the park.
We've recued plenty of ohia logs from the blade. tremout if you can find it