Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death threats from a UH student
Well, he seems to be one of the leaders. He (Kamahana Kealoha) is quoted in the second paragraph...
http://khon2.com/2015/03/26/groups-start...mauna-kea/

He's quoted in the third paragraph of this...
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/28836...benefactor

Now he apologized, at least: http://www.kitv.com/news/TMT-opponent-ap...t/32567090
PahoaTed you are claiming this post is from two years ago and so is the poster. However, Mailani's on-line petition in support of TMT didn't go up until April 13, 2015. Yes, that is two weeks ago, not two years ago. How exactly do you explain the "Temporal distortion" in this case?

quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

"Probably the only person with undies in a bunch is the guy who wrote that screed."

Well; Him, and all the people here that would insinuate that he's representative of the movement.

unbunch, unbunch; it's not healthy.

snorkle and his troll buddies pog and tink are known for posting whatever will garner the most reactions.

ignore ignore; they`re not healthy.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

This is from F*ckbook, what do people expect? Also, there is a big unanswered question here. Is this the main protester/protector group or an isolated individual? The main group is Aloha Aina. One thing people need to start realizing about these social media activist/protest causes/events, they are usually comprised of multiple smaller groups. Also, the original F*ckbook posting was two years ago, and in usual social media fashion, somebody reposted it in F*ckbook with the recent TMT associated with it. Temporal distortion is a favorite with many online people.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

The vile comments made about the high school girl who started the proTMT petition could not be from 2 years ago, she only went public with her petition on 4/13.

So the guy is both a public liar and someone who uses obscene language to threaten a high school girl, just because she is exercising her right to petition in support of the TMT. This person has been representing himself publicly as a spokesperson and leader for the anti-TMT groups, and has been collecting money for the cause, yet when he threatens violence against those he disagrees with the anti-TMT groups do not disavow him.

I realize that any cause attracts a wide variety of people, but the particular language this man uses agains women reflects a very ugly world view, one where violence and the extreme denigration of women is acceptable, as long as those being denigrated and threatened are on the "other side." If I was a woman camped out on that mountain to oppose the construction I would have a very hard time standing in solidarity next to that man, knowing what is in his heart. Why aren't the other "leaders" who constantly use the word "Aloha" to describe their actions and motivations denouncing this man, his threats of violence and his lie filled fake apology? I would have more respect for him if he had just owned his words and admitted they were written in haste or a weak moment, instead he give a completely implausible lie, claiming he wrote it in the distant past when anyone who uses critical thinking would know that can't be true.
If he is currently part of the blockade on the mountain then he should be sent home in order for the rest of the group to save face.
First pro-TMT people were called "infidels" and you let that slide.
Now they're calling for the cutting of throats and you want to laugh that off too.
How far does this have to go before you realize what we're dealing with here?
Why aren't the other "leaders" who constantly use the word "Aloha" to describe their actions and motivations denouncing this man, his threats of violence and his lie filled fake apology?

I was surprised at what Kamahana Kealoha thought "sacred" meant. Maybe he and the followers who remain quiet have their own definitions of Aloha as well.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Hold on the KapohoJoe, I don't have a dog in this fight, and I don't "make stuff up".

Community begins with Aloha
Tom,

I am so sorry this protest has further crossed into your personal life, now including your safety and job. Something is indeed wrong here.

Expecting any of the protestors to censure this guy will likely prove frustrating. The "movement" could easily be classified as fundamentalist...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalism
"The term usually has a religious connotation indicating unwavering attachment to a set of irreducible beliefs,[3] but fundamentalism has come to be applied to a broad tendency among certain groups, mainly, although not exclusively, in religion. This tendency is most often characterized by a markedly strict literalism as applied to certain specific scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies, and a strong sense of the importance of maintaining ingroup and outgroup distinctions,[4][5][6][7] leading to an emphasis on purity and the desire to return to a previous ideal from which it is believed that members have begun to stray. Rejection of diversity of opinion as applied to these established "fundamentals" and their accepted interpretation within the group is often the result of this tendency.[8]"

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fundamentalism
"Fundamentalists often assert the primacy of their own idiosyncratic interpretation of religious texts over centuries of acquired knowledge and practice. This puts them at odds not only with the secular world and members of other religions, but also with their less zealous brethren."

In this case it seems unclear whether there exist any "less zealous brethren" since they seem to be tripping over each other in rationalizing his behavior away.

It will be interesting to see whether UH, the county, state or federal government will continue to bow to this "idiosyncrasy" over time. Mtviewdude put it well about there being little justification to do anything the right way if it can be derailed by a small group of zealots after the fact. So far one day of arrests followed by completely stopping construction, followed by talk of early decommissioning. It's hard to see this as an example of reason's impotence in the face of unreason, as opposed to zero-backboned politicians hiding behind political correctness.

Incidentally, I watched the Nova on math you recommended (stunning) and followed with the Nova on the Hubble Telescope (even more stunning). Two of the best Nova episodes of the decade to me eyes. How will the TMT will compare to the 8 foot mirror of the Hubble when factoring in the atmosphere? (OT I guess...)

Cheers,
Kirt
It sounds like Kamahana Kealoha has made some other poor decisions in the past:

Other anti-TMT activists said they're not sure about all the facts, but they've had concerns about Kealoha's behavior in the past.

"He's been conducting himself in a very good way recently and we've actually all been quite surprised and very proud that he has been able to huli his stance. This might be just another slip-up," said activist Joshua Lanakila Mangauil. "If it happened, it happened. It's not pono and we're going to address it as well."

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/28896...ebook-post
(the comment section below the article has a response from the woman in Florida he included in his Facebook rant)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves