Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas -- buy local trees
BOYCOTT MAINLAND TREES!
cannot believe they still bring to these island, what? 150k daed tress? Inspect some? I guess the frogs have not got their message across. German wasps?
why not I saw one kind the other day that I've never see here before? German? I didn't ask.

This is the LAST place in the world to intrduce more species. It's like the genisis garden of eden, until man is going to F*** it all up. For what? a mainland tradition?

I wonder what year it was they started shipping xmas trees to hawaii? Another stupid human trick.

Don't buy, trim, plant, transplant.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
Obviously some people don't understand the possible consequences. Like the frogs didn't teach you? For a tadition which IMO be changed for the 21st century. Best yet! grow yor own. Or make one.
? What did he say?

Yea make one. It could be plastic like all the other stuff you're gonna put under it or on it.
Get one pine scent candle! presto you helped your fellow human.

The way that America has commercialized
EVERYTHING you would "think" people would figure something out.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
""Abandon this Germanic custom of having a festooned tree altogether, and just focus on the spirit of the season.""

I couldn't agree with this statement more.

I wrote at length before deleting two paragraphs and leaving just the above line.

Best yet! grow yor own

Oh wait, I like this one too. Of course in my home we cut it down and smoke it for the New Year.

Happy Thanksgiving to all..

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield"
Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

yea dane actually one year da kine was the most beautiful tree I ever saw decorate...

KEEP PUNA RURAL
I've been following these two christmas tree threads with interest & can no longer resist the temptation to open my trap .

I completely agree with the premise that wasps, yellow jackets, SOD pathogens and any other invasive, destructive, non-native life forms need to be kept out of the state. However, the importation of cut christmas trees seems to me a totally separate issue. As long as they pass agricultural inspection, I fail to see much of an issue.

Personally, I can take or leave having a tree (living or dead) in the house this time of year, but I certainly have no objection to those who put 'em up. I grew up in Oregon and for years worked in the forest products industry. While many practices of this sector have been justifiably criticized as environmentally devastating (clear cuts, wigwam burners, etc.), it's hard to pin this tag on tree farmers. *** CHRISTMAS TREES ARE A CROP ***. No different than corn, wheat, or pineapples. They are grown solely for holiday decorative purposes. Unlike most other crops though, they require very little in the way of care or attention. Douglas Firs, Western Spruce, and Noble Firs are the most common species used for Xmas trees because they are naturally cone-shaped, lush, retain moisture for weeks after being cut, and tend to keep their needles. They don't require fertilization or pruning. Basically you just stick a seedling in the ground, forget about it for 5 - 7 years, then cut a 6' tree down -- or dig it up if you wish.

One of the posters apparently thinks trees in a landfill is an environmental problem too. ???, er, wood does biodegrade you know, and particularly quickly in the tropics. In many areas trees are recycled into mulch too; in fact in our town one of the service organizations arranges to have a tree service truck w/chipper parked in the Wal-Mart parking lot; people drop the old the tree off & in about 15 seconds you've got barkdust.

There's been considerable mention of Norfolk and Cook Pines in these discussions also (2 different species, BTW). I've always felt the Norfolk is one of the most beautiful conifers you'll find anywhere and they do make an attractive Xmas tree . . . the Cooks not so much. It should be pointed out though, that if you're going to bash, ban and abolish all imports, you'd better fire up the chainsaws & backhoes and get rid of these as well. I may be wrong but neither Norfolk Island nor New Caledonia -- where they respectively originate -- is part of the Hawaiian islands.

</rant>

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson
GOOD Rant, I too have lived and worked the tree slopes of Oregon. Fighting fires and planting trees.
And the fact that it is a crop was the point of the thread. We grow them here.
Mainland trees should stay on the mainland. If the sod killed the Ohia forest that surrounds me because some people wanted Oregon or Washington trees it will be more devestating than if pele took it, which I prefer over the latter.

I'm positive that if for some reason all pines died and there were no more trees, what would people do?

Maybe they'd decorate something that didn't have to be dictated for them. Here we are with parts of the population who would like to preserve, those who would like to alternate, and those who can't see the forest for the trees.

Only in AMERIKA! the place where no one can make up their minds with out Madison Ave.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
janeadams

We are new to the island. So where do we get one of those home-grown trees?

Susan
Susan
if there8 people who want norfolk tops i might trim my row they need it. But to have my friend come out with his skybucket I'd have to have them all spoken for.
just as a thought.............and next year there would 16, lol

KEEP PUNA RURAL
I am the first to deplore what Madison Ave has done to Christmas. However, for some of us, having a spruce or pine reminds us of our childhoods' better moments, our parents, siblings, and ourselves in younger days, etc..

I'm sorry, but I don't believe it is necessary to politicize the simple desire to have a tree such as we had when we were kids -- not when the trees are a renewable resource.

Sure it is fun to switch up and I have been known to have Christmas palm, ficus, whatever ... it's been awhile since I had a living room that had space for a full on tree.

Also, re the "festooning" -- many people have heirloom ornaments and handmade ornaments, and sentimental objects. Why do these deserve such derision? Local crafts fairs here feature newly made ornaments made by local artisans. Trees work very well for hanging them up.

Southern hemisphere pines don't bring back memories. They are fine if you like them, but why force them on people who want a blue spruce? As was said, they are not native evergreens either.

Unless it is wrong to ever want to eat a fruit that doesn't grow in the tropics because it wasn't grown on island, I don't see the harm in wanting a non-tropical Christmas tree to go with the winter solstice ritual.

It is after all, before it was Christian, a pagan ritual that celebrated the renewal of the world when day length begins again. Sure, it is not relevant to life near the Equator except as an inherited ritual, but if it has significance to people, what is the harm?

Christmas trees were a way to bring festivity, and later on, light, to the dark of the year.

I do NOT believe in rushing around making myself ill to find everyone I know the right present. I think a lot of crap that no one wants gets bought and distributed. People feel harried. People spend too much. It's all true.

But a tree and homemade cookies and pies, etc.. is not Madison Avenue ... it's my childhood.

by the way, I'm not going to buy a tree but I don't want to feel guilty if I decided I wanted one.

Mella, I love Gene.

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. ~Dalai Lama
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2