Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And this is saving the environment?
Yea! I too used ironwoods for the first couple years here they're not the cone but lit up? what's the diff?
I apologize to aikahimomma, if you took whay I said as anything specifically directed at you, "bigger fish to fry", it was your been doin it for 42 years that triggered my xmas rant.

I mean after all it's all symbology. The whole holiday has morphed into such guilt reidden time of the year, like if ya ain't got gifts for everyone and and GOTTA have, do and be what's traditional. Charge it! Pay for it next year.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
These 150,000 trees are from xmas tree farms
in Oregon. I would rather see someone buy a farmed tree than have 150,000 people in our National Forest cutting down trees.

no need to apologize peter..my point was i've lived here 42 years and see that this is also a locally accepted custom to many..i haven't been buying dead trees that long but must admit that my now 11 year old does love the tradition we have in our little ohana.
sorry if that offends anyone! and i still think there are bigger fish to fry!!!

LMAO wait... try wait LMAO I'm rolling on the floor here.
weeeph!
Well that's the point. But why Oregon? at ? $50-?$?$$ got no idea what people pay these days for em. But that's where "us" humans who happen to be living on this aina need to THINK, of a ?new? way. Or are we going to just keep increasing the load to 250k trees then 1/2 a million trees as the population grows every year. How about 150,000 planting a tree for christmas? And decorate it where it sits.
Christmas is mostly belief and illusion anyway.
Between Santa and the many reigious beliefs of the "recorded" event. Winter solistice?IMO

KEEP PUNA RURAL
ed to say that if invasive species are hitchhiking that's a whole different story ... I thought the trees were clean.
but here's my original post.

well, another way to look at this is
these people in Oregon are farmers
it's a renewable resource
it helps their economy

what is so wrong with buying a "harvested" tree when we buy all sorts of harvested items. It makes the house smell great.

Why Oregon? They grow well there?
I decorated a live Cook Pine last year and it shredded my fingers ... no fun to decorate and form is not great.

Nonetheless I will do the Cook Pine again this year because I'm broke and don't want to buy a tree when I have a live tree.

But really, farmed trees are just like other farm products, aren't they?

Edited by - KathyH on 11/21/2007 00:50:08
Kathy,

One of the concerns is the fuel it takes to ship these trees. It's a part of doing your best to buy locally, thus reducing carbon emissions.

I'm guessing that radioguy sees Christmas trees from nearly 3,000 miles away as an extremely frivolous purchase.
But I nominate those plastic fish on a wall plaque that sing.

With everything being made in China, most of us haven't got a snowball's chance in Hades of actually doing this--buying locally. The only solution is to buy less, recycle, and grow your own or buy from someone who does.

And, yes, I think we humans lost our minds way back. We should all only take what we need, use only organic material that will decompose back into the earth and re-use everything. I think that most people will disregard what they should do in return for 1. money and 2. ease.

Good luck to us.

april
april
My original point in asking people to buy local trees was to help folks understand the risks of these imported trees. You can't see, feel or detect SOD with anything but a microscope. The christmas tree nurseries in Oregon and Washington were only self-regulated until recently, and they did a very poor job of that. Kiss our ohia forest goodbye, along with lots of other species (no olelo berries = no nene food) if SOD ever gets to Hawaii. Within Washington, Oregon and California, they are now completely regulating even the movement of wreaths, chips or any products. A little late for many of California's live oaks.

I love a christmas tree as much as the next person, but NOTHING is worth the potential devastation of SOD. Bees and garter snakes (a couple found last year) are minor compared to that.

Jane

quote:
Yea! I too used ironwoods for the first couple years here they're not the cone but lit up? what's the diff?...

Forgot to add that we had to trim the tree anyway so the branches we trimmed she used.
The world is changing, not just puna, the way we've been raised, (baby boomers) we had it all, spoilded in fact if you think of 23 cents for gas, and concert tickets were like 3 bucks at the filmore? lol
Anyway people arenlt ginna stop making babies and those babies are going to need houses as our
"family values " new developement has seperated families into multipule houses.
No more Waltons? Well that's changing, lots more kids these days stay at home into their 20's.
We have to change they way we think and the way we were raised. We need to adpt to the world we let go. We are creating to toxic soup we'll all be in soon if our thinking doesn't change.
Trim an Ohia, Trim your house, trim your car, your boat or your helichopter. Lay off the trees altogether. What? radical!

KEEP PUNA RURAL
The Stork

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...7266506285