Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Ant Removal
I heard some people who think it's not good if you're growing food on your land but I just used the Amdro that's at Ace Hardware and that stuff was awesome.

My first time back in my cabin it was infested and I mean INFESTED with hundreds of LFA and I got multiple bites. I walked around the cabin twice sprinkling the Amdro lightly in a circle about 10 ft outside the cabin then I put a bit underneath the cabin and one some food bait right near the door. Next day there were a few ants but the second day they were all gone. Not a single bite since and no ants in sight.

Meanwhile, I find out not only are those damn LFA bites painful, but I'm allergic to the darn things so 6 weeks later they still aren't healed and I'm having to take antibiotics to get rid of the wounds. What a pain, literally.
We also use Zach and his crew of KFA (Kapu Fire Ants) and their technique works!! It is so nice to have our yard and gardens back!! They have created their own bait and treatment technique that is Tango based. It works. Tango is not toxic to pets and is more environmentally friendly.
Down in the south (mainland) we poor boiling water on the mound. Will this not work here?
LFA's live in the trees...
Yikes I have a lot to learn.

I wonder if the borax and sugar solution would work? Ants eat the mixture then die. I've used it for sugar ants in the house along with putting baking soda and cinnamon around the the windows seal to keep them out. Haven't had them in the house in about 5 years BUT that's sugar ants. Maybe worth a try?
quote:
Originally posted by taropatch

After reading the "Tango does not work" post from a previous thread, I did call the Ant Lab. They said, "Tango does work". They still recommend it and the gal said Provaunt is also used to supplement the treatment. Call/visit the Ant Lab if in doubt and get the real scoop.

If it works so well, why isn't the ant lab using it on the eradication efforts on the neighbor islands? It must work for some folks but I had no results after four months and dozens of stings but had overnight results with siesta and provaunt.

I have been in contact with the ant lab for 7 months so they know my story. I even tried their latest and greatest protein bait recommendation also without success.
quote:
Originally posted by volcanogirl

Yikes I have a lot to learn.

I wonder if the borax and sugar solution would work? Ants eat the mixture then die. I've used it for sugar ants in the house along with putting baking soda and cinnamon around the the windows seal to keep them out. Haven't had them in the house in about 5 years BUT that's sugar ants. Maybe worth a try?

LFA are protein feeders so you would have to mix boric acid into the gel bait recipe. The boric acid recipe is on the HAL website. Unfortunately it is described as mostly ineffective and therefore not recommended.
I do as many of my friends recommended: mix Amdro (much cheaper than Tango) w/p-nut butter, put about a teaspoonful inside about a 4 or 5 inch piece of PVC pipe (the small kine), put a cork in other end of PVC and put in trees and bushes around my place. Since they're in the tops of my tall ohias, avocado, breadfruit and banana trees, I put 2 or 3 well off the ground (put a bungee cord or wire around the trunk to hold them in place) on those trees and have been satisfied with the results. But I do have to repeat this about every 3 months. It's saved me money and many bites. The bites are bad enough to have to deal with but my sympathy really goes to the small animals and those developing allergic reactions...there are probably gonna be more developing allergy to them as allergic reactions build up in a human over time until it manifests in painful ways.
Since July last year, I've been doing the same as PunaLover did. Sprinkle Amdro antblock once a month on the ground outside around the house every 10 ft. or so and cover with boards, old baking pans, or anything to keep the rain out.

No more bite and no more LFA in the house that I can see.

ETA: Still got bitten when I'm outside by the trees...too lazy to do the Amdro on each tree.
part of the problem with every one of these damn threads ... is people here still call these ant FIRE ANTS...
They are NOT Fire Ants... the correct name is Electric Ants, and thats what the rest of the World call these little fakas...
aloha
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_ant

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha