Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upcoming IAU conference on Oahu
Gypsy, wasn't it you less than a year ago proposing or talking about a ski area up there ?

And a fine dining restaurant.

gypsy69
Kamaaina

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 : 19:56:23 Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote

Well here is a thought I had for some state revenue. Tom you probably would know best if its even slightly possible? Could snow be man made up near the summit on most nights? Is it cold enough for some snow making machines? See if we could consistently make snow up near the top we could discuss all kinds of possible revenue makers. Personally I would love to see some extreme skiing and or ski jumping. Also holding ponds or lakes from the daily melted snow could offer lots of potential? Maybe some snow sales, where they load your truck full of the white stuff before you depart the summit?
I have gone skiing at least a half dozen times up there in the past(not sure if its still aloud)absolutely stunning and crazy dangerous. Mountain biking, hiking, and other extremes would be some narly adventures too. With such spacious observatories already there, with more sure to come. We should have a nice romantic place to eat near the top with plenty of entertainment too.

Edited by - gypsy69 on 03/04/2015 19:57:02

Edit to add link to more pearls http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20668&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=ski
I posed this quite sometime ago...

Is it a fabulously elaborate troll or do imbeciles of this caliber truly exist in this world?

Either way we should all do ourselves a favor and leave this one under the bridge...stop feeding the trolls.
Dom Joly from Trigger Happy TV:

http://dai.ly/x2dllv

A fine rendition of a cow in labor. A counter-protest by the Pipes and Drums for Rational Thinking could be effective in clearing the streets outside the Convention Center.

Actually, I must confess to being one of those who somehow loves the sound of bagpipes being played as a group. ...when properly played ...in relative harmony. Influenced by my father's very wide ranging appreciation of music, no doubt.
PM2 - couldn't agree more. A bit off topic now, but this is superb:

https://youtu.be/6MIx4whjFE0
Aloha Pog, thank you for your continued constructive posts on current threads.

You also reminded me with that repost how I had imagined The maunakea summit to be in my kids future, if we allowed The TMT project to be finished. I still believe we will eventually see most of those hypotheticals become a reality if this TMT is allowed to control the summit for the next 50 years now that the lease HAS been extended to 2065. The piggybacking NASA funded projects that took place after the Keck will look Manini compared to the TMT piggy backing projects, after the project is completed of course. looks like I got some of your attention with that post just 5 months ago, your welcome. Things now seem to be changing very quickly, although not in the direction of my poor visions of TMT's impacts atop maunakea. The few who appose my silly post TMT visions have other priorities now, with slightly larger numbers.

Jmo here, Plenty of reasons for our mountain guardians to continue to stand their ground during the convention. Only embarrassment, trouble, or weaknesses could arise from leaving the posts to change venues. Focus and continued hawaiian education during times like this could help keep the main core practicing kapu Aloha or malama for the aina. This is only the beginning of the war on the Hawaiians from maunakea. look at the length of wars on other native peoples mountains by these types of telescope projects or investments.
Have a good evening pog, we are going to plant a few extra gardens in the coming weeks just in case food becomes scarce or limited by years end?
"Is it a fabulously elaborate troll or do imbeciles of this caliber truly exist in this world?"

Believe me, they really do exist, I've had do deal with them for decades. I usually go with Ockham's razor. Have you noticed how gypsy's posts become even more incoherent as the day goes on? The explanation lies there.
Just a few years ago, most people in and visiting Hawaii paid close to zero attention to all the astronomy work going on here. This is going to be a photo op for these guys, and notice Kanuha has no problem jetting over to Oahu.

The anti-geothermal protesters are dragging stuff up from the 90's.
The anti-GMO protesters are dragging up stuff from the 90's.
The anti-vaxxers were dragging stuff up from the 90's.
The anti-TMT protesters are dragging up stuff from the 90's.

Hmmm, what is common here? So complicated -- not. I recognize all the uncles in the background orchestrating these things and they are mixed race locals, Chinese, Filipine and Japanese mostly. Kanuha is probably 100% Tahitian-Hawaiian but he is not ali'i or kahuna. The reason the stuff from the 90's is being used 30 years later, those uncles were the up and coming displaced locals, in their 30's, now going into their 60's. So, they have recruited a new generation. Really odd profession, being a professional protester. And their paymaster is the state giving them grant in-aid cash handouts so they can spend all their spare time protesting.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Hmmm, what is common here?

Hawaii is 20 years behind the curve?

(If anyone doubts this ... dial-up internet)