Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addition to County Noise ordinance anyone?
One doesn't need a decibel meter to see that a moped or motorcycle has had the stock exhaust altered/removed

Without a dB meter, such judgement becomes an opinion, subject to court challenge.
Kalakoa,
The decibel law is aimed at industrial activities an in accord with health matters.
The applicable law is the states disorderly conduct law when it comes to mufflers removed from mopeds (though there is perhaps a traffic law that covers that more specifically), generators, excessive/loud music, banging on cans etc.

In fact the state laws regarding the old decibel laws effectively changed a couple weeks ago and are more specific to construction, etc now.
We have a guy that drives a riding mower for transport twice a day every day up and down our road. Can hear him coming and going for a long way. Quite irritating but what can you say??? Poor buggah all bus up and disabled.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
The decibel law is aimed at industrial activities an in accord with health matters.

So there's no need to bother the private agricultural subdivisions, since they're all clearly being used for "residential" purposes?
The police are selective both in terms of which laws they enforce and upon whom they are enforced. Of course, this selective approach does not apply when the people vote on enforcement priorities. As for calling the prosecutor's office, my opinion is that Mitch Roth is better suited to be a social worker than a prosecutor.
Kalakoa,
They're still covered by the newly revised laws. There's a heavy focus on stationary noises in that matter and I'd construe them to be more applicable to things like the PGV, construction projects, etc.

For our purposes of the average neighbor being a nuisance, there's Disorderly Conduct and another called Harassment separated by petty misdemeanor to gross misdemeanor. The later administering a greater burden of proof.

My idea was to reduce the offense to an infraction that doesn't assign it as criminal act and makes it more profitable for the county to deal with. Go to call, write up a ticket and on their way with no additional burden on the prosecutors office... Simple.

Kimo,
I wouldn't consider that disorderly conduct or something done without reasonable benefit to the operator. Sounds more sad to me than anything else.
There is the fact that it's already covered by the State and therefore not necessary and seeks to reduce the seriousness of the charge. Yeah... not needed. Just a thought though.
Anyhow, don't let the "the county doesn't have a law against noise" fool you. The State has several with some under "other titles" and the County does have one as originally posted regarding public properties application.
already covered by the State and therefore not necessary

This is where County throws up their hands because "preempted -- no can do".
quote:
Originally posted by kimo wires

We have a guy that drives a riding mower for transport twice a day every day up and down our road. Can hear him coming and going for a long way. Quite irritating but what can you say??? Poor buggah all bus up and disabled.

is it an older John Deere? sometimes has a case between his legs? loud old thing for sure!
Simplified ordinance:
"Don't bother other people."

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>