Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopter Noise Talk-Story With Onishi this Weds.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

In my observational mood can't help but notice shockwave rider has a habit of overreacting to and overstating the transgressions of others (might as well mention overkill on the reply with quote feature too).

If dishonest people didn't edit their posts after the fact no one would need to use the quote feature.

MarkP claimed INO said helicopters were flying between ohia trees. INO did no such thing, so MarkP was either exaggerating or making stuff up (also called lying) to make a point. But if you want to claim I am overstating things go ahead, I'll just consider the source is someone who thinks trollish behavior is no big deal (from another thread, I do not have time to dig out the exact quote).
Uh yeah

---------------

ETA:

"...someone who thinks trollish behavior is no big deal (from another thread,..."

ha? There's some hypocrisy.

So petty. Enough already.
Ino said that helicopters routinely fly as low as 100' agl and sometimes lower. Many trees are as tall as 100'. Ino has effectively said that the helicopters fly amongst the trees. The fact that he does not realize the full import of his statement is neither here nor there. The same goes for others who failed to apply simple logic.
if the amount of taxes collected were distributed in proportion to the areas they were collected

I'm not sure this data is published in any meaningful way, so it's really difficult to be sure... in any case, helicopter tour taxes are paid in Hilo district, and all taxes are remitted to State, so we're trusting their redistribution.

more tourists that are trying to freeload as much as possible

To say nothing of the "illegal" B&Bs that aren't paying their GET/TAT.
Seems like an easy fix: Force the tour companies to bus their customers to a helipad near whatever sights or sites they want to see from above. Make it easy to put helipad and bus parking in place so that industry buys into the idea... Problem solved. Why are we "forcing" the helicopter companies to fly 40 miles each way buzzing people's houses the whole way?

As I understand it, some helicopter tour operations begin in Waikoloa and they need to refuel at the Hilo airport. Either fine the snot out of them for buzzing our houses or force a rethink on why all the resorts are on one side of the island but everything worth seeing is on the other side.
Why are we "forcing" the helicopter companies to fly 40 miles each way buzzing people's houses the whole way?

Any new heliport would obviously need to be located near wealthy homeowners who don't want that sort of thing in their backyard.
Or, maybe they fly lower where the trees are short, and higher around taller trees. Your "logic" may be simple, but it's not accurate.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

Ino said that helicopters routinely fly as low as 100' agl and sometimes lower. Many trees are as tall as 100'. Ino has effectively said that the helicopters fly amongst the trees. The fact that he does not realize the full import of his statement is neither here nor there. The same goes for others who failed to apply simple logic.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
why all the resorts are on one side of the island but everything worth seeing is on the other side...

Mold?

Actually I believe the most popular attraction is a lounge chair and a mixed drink. Snorkeling and seeing turtles probably is a close second, and golf comes in right up there too. But yes, for those that venture beyond the reaches of the hotels HVNP does come in as the most popular of the attractions. But let's not kid ourself into thinking Puna has something 'better' than Hapuna Beach!

As far as things tourists like to do, I am told by the people that run the rack card business that helicopter rides and luaus are the most popular cards pulled. That's probably a pretty good reading on what tourists like to do.

Going back on topic, I think, hope, the talk story with Onishi gathering turns out a big crowd. And they're very vocal, and it actually spurs the county into doing something. It's about time. I too as a land owner that hates the traffic overhead tried to deal with the FAA years ago only to conclude that they, as a government agency in matters relating to helicopter traffic here, do not work for the general population directly, but rather they work for the tour operators. Yes they have rules that they enforce etc., but in regards to complaints they're running interference for the industry rather than actually helping solve the problem.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

Not if Ino lives somewhere that the trees peak out at 40'.

Your twisted logic is that if trees somewhere are as tall as 100', and someone says helicopters fly as low as 100', that they must be saying that helicopters fly in between those trees. That is called a huge stretch on your part, not simple logic, but it served you as a way to put words in someone's mouth, so I guess it is simple logic to you.

The tour helicopters are an industry entirely based on disturbing the lives of everyone on the ground under them. They ignore the rules whenever they can, and then claim they didn't if the people being disturbed don't have absurd levels of documentation. If I cannot complete a call to my bank because the sound is so loud, then they are too low, or the rules are too lax.

People deserve to be able to live in their homes without being bombarded by noise; just because some hypothetical flight instructor supposedly told a tale about a farmer who may or may not exist, does not mean that the people of the East side of Hawaii are not negatively impacted by helicopters every time there is a cruise ship in town. The helicopter companies and their pilots are profiting handsomely by disturbing the lives of people who get virtually NO benefit from the over flights, they profit, we lose the enjoyment of our homes, not a fair deal.
My twisted logic is that as a pilot I know that other pilots will not willfully court disaster and the unwanted attention of the FAA by flying as low as 300' agl over ground with no trees without a good reason. INO's characterization of pilots dragging their skids through the tree tops, apparently for the hell of it, where there are no particular sights to see, overcame my better judgement and led me to comment where there was obviously no hope of getting satisfaction. As long as I'm here though let me state my point of view. The helicopters were not flying at 40'. They were not flying at 100'. They were not flying at 300'. They were probably not flying below 500'. Whether they were flying at several hundred feet or 1,500 feet doesn't concern me that much. The characterization that they were flying at 100' and sometimes lower in an area where the trees are 50' and sometimes higher, which is reasonable to assume and perfectly proper for me to assume since they are at my place in Eden Roc, means that either they were sometimes flying between the trees or the original comment was made without due consideration of reality. JMO but I don't really believe that they were flying between the trees, I was just challenging Ino's statement that they were.

On sunny days in Eden Roc helicopters fly overhead all day long. The only time I had occasion to complain (and I did complain to local authorities) was during what I later learned was a green harvest event. Then they were flying around at what I estimated was 500' agl and sometimes lower and it was a big deal. I called the police non-emergency line and asked what was going on. I am sure I was not the only one to call.