Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crash on 130 about 5:15
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

It's called "don't know how to merge"

I think they know how to merge. They've just watched everyone else do it as they blasted past them. They're willing to take advantage of a situation so they can reach their destination several seconds earlier because... they're couriers for Clinical Laboratories - Hawaii? Aunties insulin ran out?

Even pizza delivery guys on a 30 minute deadline don't resort to those tactics.

My unscientific observation from being cut off at the last possible moment at the new merge time after time, is that the people most likely to drive as far and as fast as possible up the right hand lane, before rudely forcing their way into a line of cars who had already done the merge, all the while driving a minimum of 55 MPH, are not the people driving old or small cars. These drivers are driving very new vehicles, usually SUVs or huge PU trucks, and are overwhelmingly young to middle age males. I've never been cut off like that by someone driving a "Puna cruiser" or by a woman of any age, or by someone in a small car. I think all that metal and horsepower just give some people a sense of entitlement, and maybe a sense of false security.

Right of way is not determined by tonnage!
Remembering the old two lane, the shoulder expansion came just in time. That is an HPP intersection. Coming back towards Pahoa, 3/4 of the traffic in front and behind drop off into HPP, Orchidland and Ainaloa. Going into Hilo, the traffic gets 3 times more aggressive, zipping around, beat the light, coming into that stretch again. Yeah, part of the reason is that the 4 lanes from Kea'au to Pahoa got right-sized to the shoulder expansion project (Phase I completed, Phase 2 in staging). For whatever reason, people living in HPP seem to be always agitated, not mellow or laid back at all.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
For whatever reason, people living in HPP seem to be always agitated, not mellow or laid back at all.

I wasn't agitated, but am now.
For some reason.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Agitated? Me? Almost never!

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
We had a construction project here in PA that had two lanes merge into one.

For miles before the merge, the state had put up multiple signs that said "Use both lanes until merge, then every other car".

No one paid attention. The lane that was to be merged into was miles long. The lane that was ending was way shorter, and people would not allow merging at the end.
quote:
Originally posted by shockwave rider

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

It's called "don't know how to merge"

I think they know how to merge. They've just watched everyone else do it as they blasted past them. They're willing to take advantage of a situation so they can reach their destination several seconds earlier because... they're couriers for Clinical Laboratories - Hawaii? Aunties insulin ran out?

Even pizza delivery guys on a 30 minute deadline don't resort to those tactics.

My unscientific observation from being cut off at the last possible moment at the new merge time after time, is that the people most likely to drive as far and as fast as possible up the right hand lane, before rudely forcing their way into a line of cars who had already done the merge, all the while driving a minimum of 55 MPH, are not the people driving old or small cars. These drivers are driving very new vehicles, usually SUVs or huge PU trucks, and are overwhelmingly young to middle age males. I've never been cut off like that by someone driving a "Puna cruiser" or by a woman of any age, or by someone in a small car. I think all that metal and horsepower just give some people a sense of entitlement, and maybe a sense of false security.

Right of way is not determined by tonnage!

Drugs and/or testosterone is my bet, then factor in a culture that doesn't get much exposure, the adventurous somehow make it to Las Vegas and hopefully learn how to negotiate the multiple lane phenomenon in between gambling and eating.

I don't even commute to Hilo yet learned quickly the merging lane of which you speak is a wild card and to be on high alert the second I see it.
I go in to work in Hilo really, really early in the morning, so I rarely come home after the "extra" lane closes at 6, but I had a phone consultation with a client tonight and went through right after 6 PM. To my great surprise, everyone merged correctly and smoothly right after Keaau HS, but then after the transfer station traffic ground to a halt, we are talking bumper to bumper creep all the way to Shower, I didn't go over 20 the whole way.

I was surprised it was such an easy merge at Keaau, but that single lane to Puna was packed, while almost no one was coming the other way. As I sat there looking at 2 empty lanes going to Hilo I was again reminded of the sheer idiocy of 2 lanes into Hilo and one lane back home as a permanent plan for a roadway.
Do you people understand that the Punatics of old prevented highways that are built to federal standards !

If enough people wanted a 4 lane freeway built from Hilo to Maku'u it could be funded very easily !

Without federal funds you get the 10 plus year project that has just started . The reason the project stopped where it does is because of the property owners in that area.

What say we all go to the next council meeting and demand that the people holding up this project be evicted from their property.
Regarding PT's comment, I assume it would be OK to call everyone living in Pahoa a know-it-all narcissist.

Anyway, I saw something a few months ago, and don't remember where, that mentioned the 3-6pm use of H-130's highway might get extended to 7pm. That would solve so many problems, because even at 6pm the rush hour isn't over. It seems such a simple thing to do, so am wondering why it's taking so long to do this.

As for merging, it makes much more sense to merge at the point where the merge occurs rather than getting into the left lane early. By merging early, all you're doing is increasing the amount of traffic in the left lane. The ideal situation is to have both lanes with equal amounts of traffic that merge at one single point. Please don't blame drivers in the shoulder lane from following the laws. The people who merge early are the ones causing the problem.
Very pro business that highway 130. Not so good for the worker. 2 lanes 24/7 going into town but coming home not so. So basically you wont be late to work but who cares how late you come home! Also does HDOT really think we dont have tracffic on the weekends? We need that second lane 2-8pm 7 days a week.