Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dengue Fever Update: CD shuts down Waipio Valley
From dakine: "The most interesting thing to note is that the State/County is so dysfunctional, so completely incompetent, that the information they are working with, the confirmed case in Waipio Valley, happened a long time ago and is just now being reacted to as if its a big deal hurry hurry and OMG!"

And this is a surprise because . . . ? Seriously, it would only be shocking if they got it right.
"...Easy to close Puna, just barricade 130 at Transfer station, Puhako Drive at 40'th and and Ainaloa at Road 9. Just proves the wisdom of DOT in not developing an emergency access road, so punatics can be quarenteened for any variety of reasons. Residents and emergency vechicles could use the newly dozed Chain of Craters Road and as they leave and enter HVNP their cars could be sprayed for and checked for mosquitoes."

Had missed this little treasure of a post. I hope Amrita was only speaking in jest.
The Kingdom of Hawaii would surely have things under control by now. Just one more reason to switch over to support the sovereignty movement.
The most interesting thing to note is that the State/County is so dysfunctional, so completely incompetent... That’s a pretty pathetic story

I have often heard Waipi'o Valley referred to as one of the sacred places on the Big Island, in it's own unique way like a sea level Mauna Kea. So one might ask, just as the Protectors felt the need to take matters into their own hands when they personally determined the State of Hawaii and the DNLR did not meet their requirements to safeguard Mauna Kea, where are the Protectors now? Would they not equally wish to rally and bring attention to a situation where the state falls short, which could result in the irrevocable change to one of their sacred sites with the permanent introduction of Dengue Fever? Many of them had asked of Mauna Kea, why are they not allowed to practice their religion and pray on the mountain. How many of them would wish to practice their religion in Waipi'o Valley at the sites of former temples, and worship at the risk of serious illness or death?

Home of Hawaiian royalty until the 1600s (and sometimes called the Valley of the Kings)
http://www.wsj.com/articles/trekking-the...1450814130

Waipi'o Valley - Valley of the Kings
Waipi`o Valley is a sacred place for Hawaiians. It was the site of many important heiaus (temples).
http://www.vthawaii.com/BIGISLAND/Waipio/Waipio.html

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
where are the Protectors now?

They will appear when the new owners of Waipio Valley want to build a geothermal-powered Walmart (complete with tire shop and McDonald's).
They will appear when the new owners of Waipio Valley... build a Walmart complete with tire shop and McDonald's

As customers? The Protectors put a lot of miles on their big wheeled pickup trucks driving up and down Mauna Kea last summer.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Not to mention racking up the miles cruising around Waimea town flying flags in celebration of the landmark race-restricted election.
Actually, pre-contact Hawaii had no mosquitoes. Hawaii had no mosquitoes until 1826 brought in by English and American ships. There were also no termites, no gnats, no centipedes, no snails, no slugs, no rats. All, haole "gifts".

One thing about all this "sacred" garbage. That is the English word, which only approximates the Hawaiian word, kapu. These makaaina'na are abusing the word, as well as the haoles that try their version at translation.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
"In studying precontact archaeological sites in Hawaii, archaeologists have found the concentration of the remains of rats associated with commoner households accounted for three times the animal remains associated with elite households. The rat bones found in all sites are fragmented, burned and covered in carbonized material, indicating the rats were eaten as food. The greater occurrence of rat remains associated with commoner households may indicate the elites of precontact Hawaii did not consume them as a matter of status or taste."

Rats were a canoe food. They were also taken to places like Easter Island where they are widely believed to, with the help of humans, have turned a lush tropical paradise into the barren island it is today.
quote:
Giant Centipede / kanapi
Scientific name: Scolopendra subspinipes

Classification: Phylum: Arthropoda. Class: Arachnida. Order: Chelipoda.

Origin: Introduced

Distribution:Midway Atoll, O`ahu, Lana`i, Maui, Kaho`olawe, Big Island,

Sound file: --

Map: --

This painful pest was introduced to Hawai`i before 1847, possibly even by Polynesian voyagers since it occurs commonly throughout the Pacific and tropics.

Ted you should check your facts before posting. It would make you look less foolish. There were also endemic land snails which mostly are extinct today.

https://www.facebook.com/Hawaiian.Land.Snails/