Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Weather
I wonder if we could get together a network of Punawebbers with weather stations to put make rain maps that reflect the actual micro climates here on the East side.

I would really like to create/acquire a weather station for my students to use at our middle school site in Kurtistown. Any suggestions for how we could do so with no budget to speak of? My 8th graders are doing weather and climate next semester, I can't wait!

carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
That sounds like a great idea! I wish I had time to get one of those weather stations together, but so far it hasn't happened. I did, however, see a very beautiful storm indicator at the beginning of this big rainy period (has it been 5 weeks now?) The evening the first really big storm hit I took a walk around sunset near Kehena. As the clouds moved in and the breeze began to pick up I saw a group of 17 great frigate birds, or 'iwa, soaring in on the wind. They were slowly circling and elegantly dipping in the air like a giant living mobile above a clump of forest. When I was a kid I learned that they are a sign that bad weather is on the way because they rarely come near land except for ahead of impending storms. I watched them for a long time and then it started to rain and I had to leave to keep from getting completely soaked! Pretty cool birds!
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
I would be interested in participating in the rain data. I purchased at plastic rain gauge with increments in tenths of an inch. I read the gauge at 6:30AM and 6:30PM because I want to examine the night time rain vs the daytime rain. I started on 12/5. I am at Kaloli point in HPP, specifically Kupaoa St (E) and Pili Kai.

Date Reading AM Reading PM 24H Total HPP

6-Dec-07 1.40 0.30 1.70
7-Dec-07 1.70 0.30 2.00
8-Dec-07 0.40 0.00 0.40
9-Dec-07 0.32 0.00 0.32
10-Dec-07 0.00 0.00 0.00
11-Dec-07 0.20 0.30 0.50
12-Dec-07 0.38 1.00 1.38
13-Dec-07 0.10 0.40 0.50
14-Dec-07 0.10 0.10 0.20
15-Dec-07 0.10 0.10 0.20
16-Dec-07 0.10 0.20 0.30
17-Dec-07 0.08 0.20 0.28
18-Dec-07 0.00 0.20 0.20
19-Dec-07 0.25 0.50 0.75
20-Dec-07 0.00 0.00 0.00
21-Dec-07 0.00 0.50 0.50
22-Dec-07 0.50 0.00 0.50
23-Dec-07 0.10 0.60 0.70
24-Dec-07 0.30 0.00 0.30

Sorry the data did not format that well to read, but I think you get the idea.

Susan

Edited by - Tolleys on 12/24/2007 11:51:28
Susan
Carol,

The Davis Instruments station was a little over $3000. I doubt the school has the budget, but how about one for the entire school, and as each class does some weather stuff, pass the console around? Or look for grant funding, perhaps from a TV station that does outpost weather reporting. I knew of one in the Bay Area before moving to Hawaii in 2001. Otherwise, there are pieces available, that can be integrated. Look at the URL for Gardener's
Supply, though they aren't showing as much as was their earlier catalogs and website.

http://www.gardeners.com

I did see one that you could get the core system for under $100, which did rainfall, and then add on thermometers, anenometers and such.

Alternatively, good use of noaa maps, website and such can give a pretty good ever-changing picture. That is part of our morning routine -- check the rainfall (midnight to midnight for the day before) and note it on the calendar, record max/mins for the day (just starting this), and then look at websites (doppler radar loop, Hawaii IR, Closeup Visual, and "Big Blue" for the larger picture of the Pacific. A lot of those URL's are found easily on Glenn James' "Maui Weather Today" website. He does a great daily narrative as well.

Jane

There are several local contributors to the Weatherunderground.com site. One is in Volcano and one in HPP. Type in Hilo for the City and scroll down to the bottom for the personal weather stations.

What's that old saying?
No rain, no rainbows, eh?

best weather link

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/find...uery=96778

has privet weather stations scroll to bottom of page..

Plus,, each station has a history file, you can check different years months etc. and google map showing all privet weather stations on big island..
Enjoy!

Since Erik and I have only moved here this year, we haven't seen fit to be upset about the heavy rain.... yet.

Our motto is: Hey, it least it isn't 20 degrees and snowing (Connecticut has been getting some cold-ass weather this year, lots of snow too. Glad we're not there anymore)

"Never use a large word when a diminutive one will suffice."
"How do you know i am mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the cat "or you wouldnt have come here."
This view is pretty cool (cold) as of this posting: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cam2/

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Having just gotten back from (what was supposed to be ) sunny california - (rained 4 out of 9 days with temps between low 40's and mid 60's daytime) - I felt so glad to be back in my WARM hilo rain although all that snow on Mauna Kea SCARED us!! ha ha They too are expericiening colder and wetter than normal weather.

We too are interested in participating in a weather/rainfall group. SB's dad was a real weather bureau guy back in the day so it would be fun and informative to do!